Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Defensive edge class

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2010, 05:46 PM
Gold Member

Defensive edge class

Last weekend Educ8r, southpaw and I took Shawn and Bob Carlock’s (Defensive edge) long range shooting class. While there we met a great bunch of guys, including another LR member- BHHUNTER. BHHUNTER- it was a pleasure to meet you, and if you ever want to hunt Idaho, just say the word.
I have been going out on my own and doing a lot of shooting similar to what we did in class and by doing this have learned a lot. However, I cannot believe all that I learned in this class!
I learned a lot about shooting techniques etc, but the most important thing I learned is that the shooting part is easy. The reading of wind/mirage is the key to this whole thing. Even though I knew this going into it, I didn’t fully understand it until I spent two days learning from the Carlocks. Both of these guys are unbelievably talented in this area and have a lot to teach.
I just wanted to take this opportunity to say thank you to Shawn, and his dad Bob for all the work they put into this. These two guys work hard at what they do and their talents and abilities are second to none. Besides learning a lot, just being around these guys is a blast. This class was the most fun I have had in a long time.
If you’re into this at all, I highly recommend taking this class.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:41 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Defensive edge class

I also took the class this weekend and will echo the above comments and then some. It was a great time spent shooting, meeting a bunch of good guys interested in long range hunting, and learning new things. Shawn and Bob did a great job and I would encourage anyone interested in long range shooting to attend. Even if you are proficient and experienced in long range shooting, I will bet you will learn something new and get some excellent practice.

Shawn and Bob----job well done.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:40 PM
Sponsor

Glad you guys had a good time and learned a lot. We enjoyed having you here. The classes are a lot of work, but they are also the best part of the year. Remember wind isn't an issue, it is "the" issue.

www.defensiveedge.net
1-208-687-2659
Old 06-30-2010, 12:44 AM
SPONSOR

heard good things on your classes.... what is your schedule for upcoming ones ?
Old 06-30-2010, 08:43 AM
Sponsor

We are full for 2010 and have 20+ people on the list for 2011. We set the dates in September or so and take tuition and slots after the dates are set.

www.defensiveedge.net
1-208-687-2659
Old 06-30-2010, 06:00 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Carlock View Post
Glad you guys had a good time and learned a lot. We enjoyed having you here. The classes are a lot of work, but they are also the best part of the year. Remember wind isn't an issue, it is "the" issue.
Shawn,

I thought "the issue" was the knucklehead that was messing with his exbal validation. Oh wait a minute, that was me!

I had a great time and learned alot. For me I think the most important thing I learned was to practice enough in different conditions to know what my own abilities are so that I can make ethical shots at game.

Thanks to you and Bob for a great experience!
Old 07-01-2010, 12:31 AM
Silver Member

Hey guys, what a great weekend huh? Fun stuff, but I think they should rename the course to Reading the Wind 101.
I would rather mess w/ my validation than show up w/ a troubled gun I suppose..
It was impressive to see the difference in bullets bucking the wind also.
Bill, I am definitely in for Idaho.
Looking forward to seeing you next month.