Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Deer hunting with AR platform

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2010, 08:10 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Deer hunting with AR platform

Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
?
Did I miss something?

I though it was still a discussion.

J E CUSTOM

Sorry, I saw this going the route of which is better, a .224 or a 100grn broadhead? That is why I quoted what I did. I was supporting you by the way.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 11-19-2010, 12:21 PM
Silver Member

Re: Deer hunting with AR platform

Biggest factors I see here are bullet weight, and propper bullet construction for the game intended + shot placement.

I killed two deer with a 24in barreled 6.8SPC with 110gr TSX Barnes. Don't know how fast it's going, but a little faster than 16in barrel.
Both deer, one MT mulie doe, and one small whitetail. Didn't use the rangefinder, but used 200yd dope, DRTx2. Both passthrough shots. The mulie boiler room, I try not to shoot the shoulders (makes good hamberger and sausage). The whitie through the neck plenty of dammage.

If you look up the ballistics on SSA (silver state arsenal), 115gr 6.8SPC has a nearly identical tragectory and FTLBS as that of a 147gr 7.62x51(308 Win).

And for the .223, I'd say bullet selection, nothing less than 55gr, and bonded, core lock, or Barnes style killing bullets.

I looked a lot too, I think the 6.5 Gren is slightly more accurate, over the 6.8SPC. The ftlbs numbers were a little better with the 6.8SPC.

As far as saving pelts, Barnes has solid bronze projectiles, just for that purpose.

My next Upper I think is going to be in .458 SOCOM, looks like a moose stopper!