Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Deer and Elk Hunt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2004, 07:20 AM
Gold Member

Re: Deer and Elk Hunt

We shoot 1000 yard and 1 Mile matches in Ohio and Iowa we should get together and go to some next year Kazoo I am just East of Battle Creek.
Here is a pic of the rifle it is a Bat action Kreiger barrel Bear stock Nightforce 8x32 the scope is 0 at 400 Meters at the bottom and has 43 usable Moa + the reticle.

We were also using a Leica spotting scope 20x60 power to see the hits. We also use GPS to comferm the range along with the Wild Range finder.
Crow Mag
Old 10-25-2004, 09:11 AM
SPONSOR

Eric,
Congrats!!! After seeing you shoot in Iowa, and reading other posts I am not surprised. Now since you are accomplishing these feats with a rifle you will have to handicap yourself and start using a specialty handgun and come chase elk with Steve and I. It will be a lot less weight to lug around in the hills.
I'm glad you had a successful season. Look forward to seeing you in Pella in the spring.
Old 10-25-2004, 02:44 PM

Crow Mag num man,

Where do you get a chance to practice at the long ranges? I live west of B.C. It would be interesting to go to a long shoot tournament. When do they start in the spring?
Old 10-25-2004, 05:43 PM
Silver Member

Crow Mag,

Sweeeeeet!!! That's what I'm talkin' about! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

And here I was gonna try to impress everyone with shooting a buck at 800yds on a powerline with my "308 Rock Rifle" this year.... [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

$bob$
Old 10-25-2004, 06:02 PM
Gold Member

Thank you Ernie
I would love to chase Elk with Steve and you with specialty handguns. I would have to build a 300 WSM or 338 WSM on a XP for the occasion. Where could I get a bolt for a XP?

kazoo
We start shooting April

LDHunter
800 Yards is a long shot comgradulations

Here is a Pic of the Elk

Old 10-25-2004, 09:28 PM
SPONSOR

Eric,
All you have to do is have a smith (I use Greg Tannel, fiftydriver is also an XP lover and a gunsmith) open the boltface. Tannel opened my boltface of my XP (started life as 221 Fireball) for the 7.82 Patriot case which is a tad larger than the WSM case.
This year it will be just Steve & I. I will get to Steve's house in Pueblo on thursday night of Nov. 4th. We will head to the hills on Friday morning after some range time on the plains East of Pueblo.
We hunt between Pagosa & Bayfield CO
Old 10-26-2004, 01:42 AM
Silver Member

Crow Mag,

"800 Yards is a long shot comgradulations"
Well.. Thanks but I haven't done it yet... This December is when I plan to do it. I have located a great powerline in North Florida for my long range hunting this yaer.

Ernie,

I wish you luck in the San Juans. I lived in Central and Northern Colorado for 5 years and stomped the Pike and San Isabel NF and hunted elk and mulies there. My only "long range" handgun that could take an elk is my Encore with a 15" 308 barrel and it might be a bit light in the energy dept. way out there. <sigh>

$bob$