Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Decisions..........HELP!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2010, 11:13 AM
Gold Member

Re: Decisions..........HELP!!

i also would choose the WSM. no belt, more efficent burning powder, very accurate,
Old 07-11-2010, 11:28 AM
Platinum Member

if your going to be sending lots of rounds down the yube then the 300 WSM hands down. If you want all out hunting rifle preformance then the 300 RUM is awsome. Just figure how many rounds you wanna get out of it before you re-barrel and that will give you your answer. I would also consider trueblue's advice and look at the edge.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:09 PM
Bronze Member

Well to close of the topic the rifle is built. I went a whole different direction after I won a 300 Win Mag in a raffle.

First, I want to thank everyone for their friendly advice and not getting into a real ******* match over the caliber. I know that can happen once in a while when everyone has their own favorites.

I gave the rifle to R W Hart and had it rebarrelled for 6.5x284 Win. Bobby also put on his new benchrest stock and a muzzle brake. Still working up on the "perfect" load but have shot a few times at Williamsport, PA with it. Best group to date is 10.8", shot a 14 in bad wind conditions this past Saturday and I have to take full blame for the group opening up to 10" on Sunday. I didn't have my sandbags situated properly or something cause the gun was jumping over to another target after the shots. I got flustered and started rushing my shots.My cousin has a Goodling rifle chambered in the same caliber, so we split to costs of larger quantities of bullets and powder ect.

I did take the 300 Winnie to Hart also and had him put a muzzle brake on that too. After shooting it a few times (standard Rem 700 hunting rifle) I didn't like the punishment.

I may use it at Reade Range in the factory 1000 yard shoot if they don't disqualify it for the muzzle brake being aftermarket. I don't know their regs yet on it.

Thanks again everyone.

PaCowboy
aka Tom Herren
717-965-7124