Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Deciding on a new big game rifle...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2012, 04:39 PM
Gold Member

Re: Deciding on a new big game rifle...

I hear what you guys are saying, and I completely agree: a well placed shot takes care of everything. Having said that, Scot, is there somewhere you can find what velocity each bullet requires? Or is that a trial and error type of thing? I have heard that it varies significantly from bullet to bullet, but I have never been able to find the numbers.

On a side note, I guess I should have pointed out my goals and reasoning for looking at these calibers: When it is all said and done, I would really like to have a gun that I can have one load that is used to hunt all of the big game I hunt. I also like the idea of the flatter shooting rifles simply because when hunting, most often times you are not presented with time to make adjustments to a scope, at least in my experience. I would rather know that I am going to get 24" of bullet drop at 500 yards and be able to account for that versus 4+ feet of bullet drop. It would also make for the in-between yardages being easier to adjust for as well. Just my thoughts, but I could be way off!

Snowpro, if I were to go for a WSM, why not just go for one of the RUM's? It seems that the same issue with all of them is lack of available ammo, so if I were going to deal with that issue, wouldn't it make more sense to just get a RUM? Again, I could be way off on my thinking so correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks again for all of the input guys, it is really appreciated!
Old 10-29-2012, 04:48 PM
Platinum Member

I have been through many 30 cals on many different cases. Now it is the 300 win for me hands down. Mine has taken 11 big game animals in 12 days this season. Closest was 200 yards , farthest was 1285 yards. They wera all either DRT or only took a few steps.

edit:
PS: Scott E pointed out a thread I have put up this season with a ton of data on my rifle with the 215 Bergers. After reading your last post I too would encourage you to read it and look at the velocities and success rate of this rifle. 3050 fps from a 215 gr bullet is nothing to pass over. It has proven to be a sweet deal for me. Look it all over and see if you feel it will work for you

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...-hybrid-88657/

Jeff

Last edited by Broz; 10-29-2012 at 04:54 PM. Reason: add PS:
Old 10-29-2012, 04:55 PM
Gold Member

Broz, what are you shooting ammo-wise?

Edit: didn't put two and two together there, thanks Broz!
Old 10-29-2012, 04:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cohunter14 View Post
Broz, what are you shooting ammo-wise?
I edited and added a PS: to my last post. I use hand loads with H-1000 and a 215 Berger this year. In the years past I used H-1000 and the 210 Berger.

Jeff
Old 10-29-2012, 05:20 PM
Silver Member

I would just use that 30-06...big boomers are one thing, but familiarity trumps all...use high BC 180 grain bullet,, and go kill elk....500 yards, maybe even 600 if you can put the bullets where they need to go.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:01 PM
Silver Member

Ok...made that other post from my phone...I hate posting with that thing, the spellchecker plays tricks on me.

The 30-06...
A 180 grain Nosler Accubond (or Ballistic Tip) launched at about 2,800 fps will have a good bit of power at 600 yards, the BC is pretty good...at it will expand at 1,800 fps, which is about the 600 yard velocity.

I would say Berger 185, but I have yet to see what they do at 1,800 fps...they'll probably work fine, I just haven't seen it yet.

This is the route I have gone myself...I've never hunted elk but I plan to in the coming years, hopefully several times. I built a rifle just for this purpose, its a Win M70 with a McMillan stock and a Vortex Viper HS 4-16x44 scope....I'll admit that 600 yards is pushing it, but it is well within the realm of possibility...its not a real long range rifle (by comparison to a 338 EDGE), I like to call it a "medium range hunter"...death to any deer at 600 yards, I may call it 500 yards for elk...but still...its far more practical for me than one of these big magnums, and I learned long ago that I'm a MUCH better shot with something that doesn't kick like a mule...I have a 300WM, shot it enough over the years to wear the barrel plumb out...and I'm still a better shot at 800 with a 308 Win....thats why I say "familiarity trumps all".

As I have said before...I have nothing against the big guns, I just know I don't shoot them as good as I do the little ones.

EDITED TO ADD: Now I wouldn't exactly say I'm a recoil wimp ... I shot pretty good with my 300WM, but I have always been better with a 308...so when I spec'd my new rifle...I chose accuracy over power and have really taken a liking to my new 30-06.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cohunter14 View Post
I hear what you guys are saying, and I completely agree: a well placed shot takes care of everything. Having said that, Scot, is there somewhere you can find what velocity each bullet requires? Or is that a trial and error type of thing? I have heard that it varies significantly from bullet to bullet, but I have never been able to find the numbers.

On a side note, I guess I should have pointed out my goals and reasoning for looking at these calibers: When it is all said and done, I would really like to have a gun that I can have one load that is used to hunt all of the big game I hunt. I also like the idea of the flatter shooting rifles simply because when hunting, most often times you are not presented with time to make adjustments to a scope, at least in my experience. I would rather know that I am going to get 24" of bullet drop at 500 yards and be able to account for that versus 4+ feet of bullet drop. It would also make for the in-between yardages being easier to adjust for as well. Just my thoughts, but I could be way off!

Snowpro, if I were to go for a WSM, why not just go for one of the RUM's? It seems that the same issue with all of them is lack of available ammo, so if I were going to deal with that issue, wouldn't it make more sense to just get a RUM? Again, I could be way off on my thinking so correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks again for all of the input guys, it is really appreciated!
I hear what you are saying. I would say go with the Win Mag and don't look back! I would encourage you to at least try getting used to a ballistic card and using holdover on your reticle or dialing your turrets for the exact distance. With some practice it doesn't take any time at all and your accuracy will be much better than the "I need to hold 16 inches over his back" style!

Scot E.