Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Daughters First Deer!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2008, 12:38 AM
Platinum Member

Fantastic!!!!
Old 01-22-2008, 05:30 AM
Bronze Member

My son was in the same boat here in Oregon, patiently waiting for 12. Then the state started a new mentorship program where younger kids can shoot game while in company of the actual tag holder, after signing up for the program too. My ten year old shot his first doe with my .308 at 315 yards. He started shooting when he was very young also. He usually shot my heavy rifles that hardly recoil, and sometimes while they sat in a bench rest. He would drape over the stock to obtain eye relief since recoil was not there. Basically had the top of the stock tucked into his arm pit. Sometimes I'd put my first behind the butt plate just to catch any movement if I was worried.

Fantastic research and prep for your daughters doe. Very cool and a great photo. .22 center fire is legal in Oregon for deer, .24 for elk.

This guy on the hide did some hunting with his .22cal rifle witih good results...maybe not long distance but seemed to work well. PAI 223AI + 62TSX = dead deer - Sniper's Hide Forums
Old 01-25-2008, 10:40 PM
Gold Member

i remember that day like it was yesterday. great job!!!!!!!!!!! for dad and the little one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-26-2008, 09:28 AM
Gold Member

Location: Sagauache County, Co...3170 sq miles, not a single stop light!
this thread.....

brings back fond memories.....my twin sons were natural shooters and they had 22's starting at about 4yrs old....bb guns before that....always supervized of course and i did they same with regard to the loading and not letting them know if i slipped in an empty.....made them very trigger pull aware....

you guys out there with little ones might try the oregon arms chipmunk...it is a lot more user friendly than the cricket....it is a little hard to get cocked but my boys maged real well with it....it is also chambered in the 17 HMR...i later aquired an anshutz woodchucker in 22mag....they both took coyotes with it at very young ages. this is an awesome rifle for little ones.

i freely admit to bending the rules a little when it came to the legal age for hunting here in colo. those ages are arbitrarily picked for the "average kids" ...i feel that with proper supervision as was the case here, this is more than ethical....hell i've known thirty yr olds that should not be allowed to hunt...

great job Qzilla......you have instilled the desires in your daughter that will last a lifetime, and be passed on to her kids as well i bet...we need more of that from everyone. AJ