Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

damage to bore by cleaning rod: Myth or reallity

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2009, 07:12 PM
Silver Member

Re: damage to bore by cleaning rod: Myth or reallity

I don't buy it...damaging the bore that is.

But it would be possible (and easy) to damage the crown with a rod or attachment.

That said I have not used a "rod" in over 20 years...Back about 1986 or 87 I bought one if these... MidwayUSA - Otis Deluxe Rifle and Pistol Cleaning System ...

I still have every piece...my wife bought me a new one for Christmas, but its still in the box...I'll leave it there until the old one breaks, which I don't see happening for a long while yet.

20 years of clean, undamaged barrels for $20...what more can I say.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:25 PM
Silver Member

I can't say anything bad about the OTIS cleaning method, I use a couple of them, but I use a bore scope and know that from time to time all my match barrels need a good scubbing and I don't think the OTIS system will do it. I think it would be great for the item to take on a hunting trip or some normal cleaning for most hunting rifles or for a 22 RF. I have shot ten of thousands of rounds in matches and prefer the single piece rod for cleaning those rifles. The real purpose of the bore scope was to check cleaning procedures for match rifles. The bore scope will easily identify whether cleaning regime is working and can give you a good look at the crown also.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:35 PM
Lightvarmint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner665 View Post
I don't buy it...damaging the bore that is.

But it would be possible (and easy) to damage the crown with a rod or attachment.

That said I have not used a "rod" in over 20 years...Back about 1986 or 87 I bought one if these... MidwayUSA - Otis Deluxe Rifle and Pistol Cleaning System ...

I still have every piece...my wife bought me a new one for Christmas, but its still in the box...I'll leave it there until the old one breaks, which I don't see happening for a long while yet.

20 years of clean, undamaged barrels for $20...what more can I say.
Whether you believe it or not, lots of good barrels have been ruined by improper cleaning rod technique and lack of bore guides. That is why the bore guide business is still going strong.

LV