Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

damage to bore by cleaning rod: Myth or reallity

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2009, 01:37 PM

damage to bore by cleaning rod: Myth or reallity

I read in a magazine that an aluminum rod can damage a barrel while cleaning. How could this be possible since aluminum is lot softer than steel and that the rubbing force are may be a million time less than the force made by a single bullet ( wich is at first more hard than the cleaning rod) shot at great speed.
When two metals of different hardness rubb against each other, the softer one will wear out, not the harder one, like in a bushing.

From what i have read until now thre are different shools of tought concerning this. What do you guys think of it???
Old 01-11-2009, 04:57 PM
Gold Member

Re: damage to bore by cleaning rod: Myth or reallity

Softer metals will become imbedded with grit, carbon etc. much quicker than hard metals. The soft metal rods then become "laps", carrying the grit to your bore.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:05 PM
Silver Member

I would be more worried about damaging the crown than than anything else.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:10 PM
Silver Member

A rifles accuracy can be affected negatively by improper use of a cleaning rod or attachment!

Use a guide for the ONE piece rod and do not pull a jag or brush back across the crown. The most common damage is to the crown.

I think Lilja's site has comments on this. Most big name barrel makers provide some instruction on cleaning.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:54 PM
Lightvarmint

Hello,

A lot of new shooters stroke their barrels too fast with the cleaning rods. This can damage the bore at the end of the barrel and also the crown. Sometimes, you cannot see it with the naked eye. My first benchrest barrel was a victim of this.

James
Old 01-13-2009, 10:12 PM
Gold Member

A cleaning rod can and will damage a bore, that is why anybody that has a clue to how to clean a gun wont attempt it with out a bore guide, and most likely a 1 piece coated rod.
UB
Old 01-16-2009, 03:59 PM
Silver Member

I believe damage can be done by Rods. I have seen too many agg. winning 1000 yard barrels stop shooting before there time. I believe two thing cause this. Carbon in the throat and wear from cleaning rod. When you look through barrels with the bore scope 6 0'clock is where the most wear is. I believe it is from unburned power across the throat and the weight of the rod helping to wear. Not to mention what can happen to the crown.