Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Dall Sheep at 503 yards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2005, 10:12 PM
Gold Member

Dall Sheep at 503 yards

Hey Guys, I just got back from a Dall sheep hunt in the artic circle of Alaska. I was fortunate enough to come back with a really great ram. 15" bases, 37 1/2" full curl on one side, broomed on the other.

I made a one shot kill at a range of 503 yards. The shot was accross a canyon with only a slight downhill angle of .98 cosine, and negligable wind.

Equipment used: HS Precision .338 RUM, Swaro PH 6-24X X 50 scope, Swaro range finder, Barnes 210grn TSX.

The shot came after two very long days of following this sheep through some rough mountains, and a 6 hour vigil waiting for him to move from his bedding spot. He was bedded at 829 yards. Just a chip shot for some of you guys, but I needed him a little closer to feel comfortable with the shot. I hit him right where I aimed, he went about 20 yards and fell into a ravine [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] Made it a bit more difficult to pack out, but I did'nt care! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [image][/image]
Old 08-26-2005, 10:35 PM
Gold Member

Re: Dall Sheep at 503 yards

RDM416
Beautiful Ram sir & no doubt a great hunt. It appears I will
be in your neck of the woods tomorrow morning. Myself & my brothers have a place on Hwy. 16 close to Cove Creek road
that I need to do some work on.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:37 PM
Platinum Member

Excellent! Two thumbs way up!
A dall is my next sheep unless I get lucky on a rocky hunt.

I am glad to hear you got to take him at a "reasonable range". Some of those stinking guides up there won't let anyone shoot at a dall over 250 yards even if they know the hunter is an expert shot.

Now you have a trophy ram and a trophy shot!

Looks like a 9 year old ram. Did you age him?

Also, did you dial in your drop or use a reticle or just hold over?

What kind of damage did the TSX do? Did you find the bullet?

Tell us a little more about your rifle and load if you don't mind.
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 08-27-2005, 06:21 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks for the post and picture, nice looking ram, I'm sure you're very pleased.
Old 08-27-2005, 08:37 AM
Platinum Member

Congradulations that is a tremdous ram for that area A GREAT RAM INDEED
Old 08-27-2005, 09:27 AM
Gold Member

Goodgrouper,
Thanks to you everyone else for the congrats........ It was a great hunt, the best I have ever been on.....and the hardest.

As far as the rifle goes: I ordered it in from HS last spring and only got it in a week before I left for the trip. It is a PHR 2000, 26 barrel with a brake, 338RUM. I bedded the stock, but other than that have made no changes since I got it. I have only shot Swift 210 sciroccos and Barnes 210 TSX through it. Now that I am back and have a little time I will try some heavier bullets. It only shot 1" groups or so with the Swift, but when I switched to the TSX's the groups went to under 1/2" so I stuck with them.

I have a Badger Ordnance rail with Night Force ultra light rings, holding the Swaro scope. The scope has the TDS reticle. Sighted in 3" high at 100 for the main crosshair, the second cross down is 1"high at 500. Since he was almost exactly 500 I did not have to do any estimating.

I'm pushing the TSX at about 3250fps with 93grn of RL22. I did not recover the bullet. It seemed to perform well, although I was surprised the ram did not fall in his tracks but walked around for 2 min or so. I hit a little far back (where I aimed though, for biggest margin of error) but I still caught the back end of both lungs and the liver. This was the first animal I have shot with Barnes bullets of any kind. I will have to take another one or two before I really make a decision on them.

The AK dept of wildlife aged the ram at 10. The outfitter was Mike McCann. I booked the hunt through Cabela's. I would highly reccomend the outfitter.

They also like to limit shots to 200 yards and under. The guide I had was an ex army ranger with some sniper training, so he had some concept of long range shooting at least. I worked on him for several days about shooting long range. I finaly convinced him the 4th day of the hunt. We were looking at a ram he was trying to decide if was legal or not. In the meantime I laid down got my rifle arranged on my backpack, ranged him at 734 yards, pulled out my range card with drops and wind drift numbers. Then pulled out my calculator and punched the cosine number from the idicator on my scope rail. Them promply announced I could kill him from here if he was legal. The ram was a little short of legal, and George just looked at me like I was crazy. I told him to come over and look and got up from my rifle which I had arranged on my pack. He got over and peeked through the scope with my 700 yard cross firmly on the rams chest, took a look at my range card, calculator, cosine indicator, and wind meter and decided maybe I did know how to shoot long range.

As far as the one shot 503 yard kill.........sometimes it's better to be lucky than good [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 08-27-2005, 09:46 AM
Platinum Member

Very nice looking sheep and some tough looking terrain. 500yds in the field is a good shot anyday. Congratulations