Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

D.C.'s spot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2002, 05:43 PM
Silver Member

Re: D.C.\'s spot

Turning this thread from bad to worse with stories...
Ah, those darn tempting sheep.
Went to Alaska a few years ago with my brothers for an unguided caribou hunt. At one of the last pieces of civilization before we flew out to the tundra, a guy asks us where our "timer" was. We responded with blank stares and asked what a "timer" was. This guy tells us to go to some place down by the airport in Anchorage where the hookers are, and pick up the ugliest woman there to bring with us. If you have been out in the tundra too long, she will start to look good and then its time to come back.
I once took a guy Missouri on an elk hunt. This guy was an avid hunter, but had never been out of the hills of Missouri to hunt. I got him in on this herd of bulls and he shot a 5 point raghorn. He hit it in the spine, it dropped, but by the time we got close, it was up on its front legs. The bulls head was the only thing you could really see and I was about to tell him to shoot when I realized this might be a trophy to him. I stopped and said "Do you want to mount it?" and this guy looks at me incredulously and says "What did you have in mind?" I could not stop laughing as the guy calmly shot the bull thinking I was a pervert.
I will post some hunting pics if you want to and I can figure out the best way to do it.
Old 11-13-2002, 05:51 PM
*WyoWhisper*

Well all I can say is us westerners love to hunt and we care about the animals we hunt..... some people will never understand...

Hey Boyd.... I'm working on some new places.. your turn may come sooner than you think.... I mean to hunt, you pervert!! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I'm trying to find some public land that is still pretty productive , places where the locals don't bother with to much!!!!
Old 11-13-2002, 06:01 PM
Silver Member

Places like this?

Sheep like this?

I am the horse on the right [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Hope this works.
Old 11-13-2002, 07:03 PM
Platinum Member

And we have another SHOW OFF.I think I'm gonna puke................ [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-13-2002, 09:38 PM
Platinum Member

QH

That terrain sure does look familar.

Didn't run into a fellow named Rodney.

Later
DC

PS--I hunt about 5 miles from Avalanche as the crow flies

[ 11-13-2002: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]
Old 11-14-2002, 07:36 PM
Silver Member

Darryl, 2100 yrds!! Holy smokes!! What a shot!! My first question is what did you use to range the elk with? At that range the danger space would be really, really small. Secondly, what were you shooting and was it still supersonic? Must have taken you about 30 minutes to walk that distance.
Old 11-14-2002, 09:43 PM
Platinum Member

Roadrunner

At the time, I used a Barr and Stroud Military rangefinder. I now use a Military Laser. Only the military rangefinders will do the job for us.

I shoot a 338/416 Rigby IMP that weighs 67 Pounds and is table mounted. It has a 37" barrel and I load it hot to shoot the 300 gr 338 bullet at 3300 FPS.

At 2100 yards I still had 1533 FPS and 1566 Foot pounds of energy remaining. The bullet went through one shoulder and exited the far side just behind the other shoulder. Exit wound was about the size of a grapefruit.

It took 212 1/4 Min clicks of the scope to get the elk.

That was done with 4 witnesses watching through bigeye glasses.

Have a friend that beat that yardage a few years later. He has the SAME chambering as I and he got his elk at 2890 yards with 4 witnesses from the Williamsport 1000 yd club.

I guess you can say 2100 yds isn't really that far when it's been beat by 790 yards by my buddy.

I hope to someday reach the 3000 yd mark and regain that distance record on an elk. I keep looking for that opportunity to appear in Colorado every year. It will come sooner or later.

Anyway, that's the information you asked for and it has been discussed here many times. It's in the archives.

Later
DC

PS---It took about 1 1/2 or 2 hours (as I remember) to get to the elk on foot. Down one mountain and up to the top on the next mountain over.

[ 11-14-2002: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]