Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Cutting Edge bullets?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2012, 05:44 PM
Silver Member

Cutting Edge bullets?

I did a search on here about the Cutting Edge bullets. I see several threads about people using them but none really state how well they perform on game. So I am wondering if those of you that have used these bullets would tell us all more about your experiences with them. How well the shoot, in what and what velocities.

The reason I ask is I am trying the Bergers in my STW (Sako M995 TRG-S) and just cannot get them to shoot well in my gun when using a COAL that will fit in my clip. I refuse to hunt with a single shot scenario. The Cutting Edge bullets with thier "SealTite Band" have me intrigued.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:24 PM
Gold Member

Re: Cutting Edge bullets?

Might want to share what stw ur shooting and also velocity ur shooting. I haven't shot them yet but will once my 6.5 stw is done. Since these are solid copper bullets they will tend to be longer than a jacketed bullet if same wieght.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:11 PM
Silver Member

I have no idea yet. The 168 Bergers I am running around 3000-3200. I have tried H-1000 and RL-22 on Fed 215M's. Best group so far is 4.5" at 100 yards. I am actually using currently the 127 gr. Groove Bullet (some old timers on here might remember them) that are no longer made. They are screaming out at 3800 FPS and will still print a cloverleaf at 200yrds. I have 17 of these left so i need to find a new bullet.

My Sako has a 26" bbl and a 9.5 twist
Old 01-15-2012, 11:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sako7STW View Post
I have no idea yet. The 168 Bergers I am running around 3000-3200. I have tried H-1000 and RL-22 on Fed 215M's. Best group so far is 4.5" at 100 yards. I am actually using currently the 127 gr. Groove Bullet (some old timers on here might remember them) that are no longer made. They are screaming out at 3800 FPS and will still print a cloverleaf at 200yrds. I have 17 of these left so i need to find a new bullet.

My Sako has a 26" bbl and a 9.5 twist
My guess would be that you don't have a fast enough twist rate for the heavier bullets and need to back down to a Max of 160gr's.

You might want to give the 150gr accubond, Scirocco, or the 154gr Hornady Interlock a try.

The long/heavy monometal bullets require a higher RPM to stabilize than similar jacketed bullets in order to stabilize and RPM is a function of velocity and twist rate.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:31 AM
Silver Member

I sent CEB a message. We will see what they have to say. I will post it on here.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:59 PM

In terms of accuracy, these are absolutely the most accurate bullets I have used in my 338 winchester or any rifle. I have found the bullet to shoot more accurately with the band seated deeper in the case for whatever reason. Using H4350 I have pushed the D62 to an average velocity of 2950 with groups under 1" @ 300 yards when conditions permit. With a little more case prep I'm sure the results will get even better. IMO, the only negative is the price. Unless your're independently wealthy, most likely will not be shooting hundreds of bullets for target practice. Once you have a good accurate load worked up these are excellent long range hunting bullets. Last year took 1 antelope and 1 mulie buck with great results. Can't say enough positive about these bullets. Jimmy W.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:32 PM
Platinum Member

They are very accurate and not very critical to load for. They shoot good within a wide range of seating depths. I started shooting them last year and between me and my friends using my rifles have taken 15-18 animals. We have not found a bullet yet because they all exit with a nice exit wound creating nice double blood trails. All animals were dead within a reasonable distance. A double lung hit will not bring the animal down right there but will leave a good blood trail to follow a short distance to where it lays. A high shoulder shot or spinal shot anchors the animal as with any other bullet. A friend shot an elk through both shoulders at 520 yards while I spotted and anchored the elk in it's tracks. The bullet exited with a good size exit hole after breaking both shoulders. So the bullet is tough and will hold together.

I have not tried the CE 7mm bullets and do not know what they offer. You also may want to try the 168 grain Barnes TTSX. It is very accurate and has a high BC. I have not shot an animal with them since they just came out but the ttsx performs very well on game. Last week I was shooting them 3200 fps out of my 7mm STW very accurately.