Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Cutting Edge Bullet Kills

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2012, 12:37 AM
Silver Member

Re: Cutting Edge Bullet Kills

What is a 375 DCM?
Old 09-15-2012, 12:44 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augustus View Post
What is a 375 DCM?
375/408 imp NZs Rocky Mountains creation
Old 09-16-2012, 11:03 PM
Platinum Member

Shotty, You probably save money in the long run with the CE bullets when you consider number of shots to get an accuracy load. The Bergers typically take a lot of groups to determine seating depth. CE bullets are not as critical in the rifles I have used them in. They just shoot. They are not blow up fragmenting bullets like the Bergers.

They are solid copper and hold together blowing right through everything I have hit with them. They have performed the same for me whether the range was close or long range. Two hole double lung sucking wounds always. Nothing goes far with two holes and a good portion of the lungs blown out the exit hole.

I just returned from the weekend hunts and will upload pictures in the morning of terminal performance. Very impressive pictures but I am not into the blood and guts pictures. So I will post trauma pictures in the morning and no more. Everyone can judge for themselves. My son took a bull buffalo through both front shoulders at 289 yards and we both took buck antelope. Performance on all animals was impressive. The bullet used on all three kills was the 180 grain C21 30 caliber which tested out to be a .615 BC out to 1100 yards in my tests.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:42 PM
Platinum Member

Can't wait for some terminal performance pictures, trophy photos are irrelevant to me when discussing the merits of a bullet.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 09-17-2012, 12:32 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
Can't wait for some terminal performance pictures, trophy photos are irrelevant to me when discussing the merits of a bullet.
I have some but they are a bit like Horror Movie pics
Old 09-17-2012, 12:41 PM
Platinum Member

Terminal trauma pictures from my sons antelope. Antelope was quartering towards us. He hit him square in the right shoulder and the bullet angled back through the body exiting the paunch. You can see the mess on the shoulder where he hit him and the nasty exit. The antelope traveled 18" straight down. Notice the splatter all over the exit side of the animal. The bullets take a lot of what is inside and splatter it all over the outside of the animal. There was junk splattered for ten feet behind where he hit the animal.

The rifle was a Mcmillan EOL Outdoorsman chambered in 300 EOL Magnum (300 RUM). The bullet was the C21 180 grain Cutting Edge with a bc that tested out .615-.62 range.

Cutting Edge Bullet Kills-hunting-041.jpg

Cutting Edge Bullet Kills-hunting-040.jpg

Cutting Edge Bullet Kills-hunting-053.jpg

Last edited by Long Time Long Ranger; 09-17-2012 at 01:24 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:57 PM
Platinum Member

Trauma through the lungs of the Bison my son shot Saturday. Bison was standing broadside at 289 yards. He shot him through the rear portion of the shoulder. The bullet traveled through both shoulders and exited out the off side shoulder. The bullet tore a gaping hole through both lungs with a nasty exit wound out the back shoulder. His lungs bled out and the entire chest cavity was completely full of blood. Enough to fill a five gallon bucket and maybe two.

I hoped to finally recover a bullet from the bull bison since they are so large and tough. Certainly a major test for any bullet. The bullet blew right through both shoulders. From all the testing I have done the past two years I don't know what else I can try. The bullets work!

I will not post any more blood and guts. It is very objectional to many and I can understand that. To show other hunters important information about bullet performance I went against my rules and did it once.

Rifle was the Mcmillan EOL Outdoorsman 300 RUM. The bullet was the C21 180 grain Cutting Edge.

Cutting Edge Bullet Kills-hunting-038.jpg

Cutting Edge Bullet Kills-hunting-037.jpg