Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Cut rifling vs button rifling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2007, 03:51 AM
Platinum Member

stress - then stress relieved

I'm curious - why the concern that stress is caused by the button rifling process itself if the stress is relieved before the button-rifled barrel leaves the manufacturer's facility? To my knowledge, all button rifled barrels are stress relieved after the rifling is set in the bore.

Does anyone know if button-rifled or cut-rifled barrels win more bench rest competitions? Seems like that would say something about one being more precise/accurate than the other. Maybe BountyHunter will chime in...

I'm pretty sure if we ordered as many barrels as Kirby does that we'd get barrels in 9 weeks from Lilja also. Such is business. I don't believe I've ever run across a small business owner that didn't take care of their larger volume customers first, no matter what the business sold or provided. Can you blame them? Nothing wrong with maximizing your profits, shy of committing any crimes.

Interesting read and thanks for your input Kirby. I almost felt like I was "cheating" when I read your post in this thread. A wealth of information based on a wealth of experience - all in a five minute read. Nice of you to share your experiences with those of us that may only shoot or own 10 or 20 rifles in our lifetime.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:35 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
A wealth of information based on a wealth of experience - all in a five minute read. Nice of you to share your experiences with those of us that may only shoot or own 10 or 20 rifles in our lifetime.
That's what I told him about sharing all that great info. and he told me he talked too much! LOL

Kirby is a good guy... most of the time! LOL

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 09-24-2007, 09:50 AM
Platinum Member

Ok here goes.

I am pretty sure that if you read the match reports that most of the barrel mftrs are in there. Lot of people like cut and lot like button.

As long as stress relieved, both shoot very well. Lot of matches in short range are won by shilen, krieger and Kostyshen for example.

Not many LR shooters use Kostysten and shilens for some reason but it is not due to lack of accuracy.

One key element to also keep in mind is that cut rifled can be fluted without having to relap and heat treat the barrel unlike button rifled.

Most button rifling mftrs will flute BEFORE final lapping and not after.

I have had good luck with both button and cut rifled. If the mftr gets bad steel then it does not matter which method is used. It is really their attention to detail and putting out a quality product.

Here is another example, we had a pair shooting the new 208 AMAXs this year and could not get decent groups to BR standard. they found out that the barrel that they were using was tight while the AMAX is always on the thick side. they switched to Hart barrels at a true .308 diameter and started winning again. Not bad barrel, just bad combo of bullet and barrel.

BH
Old 09-24-2007, 10:45 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BountyHunter View Post
Ok here goes.

I am pretty sure that if you read the match reports that most of the barrel mftrs are in there. Lot of people like cut and lot like button.

As long as stress relieved, both shoot very well. Lot of matches in short range are won by shilen, krieger and Kostyshen for example.

Not many long range shooters use Kostysten and shilens for some reason but it is not due to lack of accuracy.

One key element to also keep in mind is that cut rifled can be fluted without having to relap and heat treat the barrel unlike button rifled.

Most button rifling mftrs will flute BEFORE final lapping and not after.

I have had good luck with both button and cut rifled. If the mftr gets bad steel then it does not matter which method is used. It is really their attention to detail and putting out a quality product.

Here is another example, we had a pair shooting the new 208 AMAXs this year and could not get decent groups to BR standard. they found out that the barrel that they were using was tight while the AMAX is always on the thick side. they switched to Hart barrels at a true .308 diameter and started winning again. Not bad barrel, just bad combo of bullet and barrel.

BH
Good post Bounty....well said .... its more of a ford/chev and which combo works for you...Richard Schatz has a Lija that has a zillion rounds down it and it still shoots others do well with cut barrels ...
good post and BountHunter summed it up the best...
Old 09-24-2007, 10:45 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Lazylab,

That really suprises me about the shipping time you are getting from Dan, Even before I had my shop open I was getting the same shipping time as I do now.

There was a period last year when they moved over to a new shop for more space that some barrel ordered took a bit longer but that has been the only real delay I have seen on many years ordering from Dan.

As far as bore diameter, yes, Lilja barrels tend to run pretty tight compared to other barrel brands, seems to be that way across the board but the 4 groove barrels seem to be the tightest from Lilja. Also, I have noticed that the large 338 barrels run very tight as well which will prevent you from getting quite as high a velocity as other brands but accuracy has always proven VERY impressive. But I would certainly agree with you, these barrels do run tight but they are built to true BR standards and that is the reason.

You are right, it is not fair to compare lower end button rifled barrels to upper end cut rifled barrels. YOu are also correct in that there are no popular low end cut rifled barrels. That, again was my point, hard to compare one grade of any product that is held to lower standards to another product that is held to a much higher level of standards.

But if you compare equal quality in both designs, there will be little if any real difference to talk about.

As far as the 375 bullets, still waiting on dies to get in.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 09-24-2007, 10:48 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

jwp475,

So from your own words, in the finished product, there is no difference between the two of them, correct???

If a button pulled barrel is stress relieved properly, why is a cut rifled barrel measureably better?

Just curious to the basis of your opinion.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 09-24-2007, 11:04 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BountyHunter View Post
Ok here goes.

BH
BH

Not to be knit-picky but I'd like to know where or from whom you recieved that bit of info!

That one is a new one on me!
After being stress relieved, the barrel should be, for all intended purposes, relieved of all stresses. Meaning that you can machine this material without it moving or changing its dimentions,due to the stresses being released.

Last edited by steve smith; 09-24-2007 at 11:13 AM.