Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Cut rifling vs button rifling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2007, 11:36 PM
Banned

Cut rifling vs button rifling

I know how each rifling process is done, what im asking is what are the advantages of one over the other and the drawbacks. thanks
Old 09-23-2007, 09:52 AM
Gold Member

Before anyone gets angry lets start by saying both methods can produce barrels that are beyond human capacity to shoot.

Button barrels are made by swaging the grooves, either pulling or pushing a carbide or other very hard material through the barrel and displacing the metal and not cutting it. This induces a lot of stress in the barrel. This also must be done while the barrel is in full blank size to prevent a tapered hole. The barrels are stress relieved to get them back to "normal". I think most of the time they are contoured at this stage. They are then lapped to get a consistant bore diameter.

Cut barrels are rifled after they are contoured then the grooves are cut at about .0001 per pass to desired depth, then lapped.

The differences in my OPINION... The twist is probably more consistant across the cut rifled barrel. In a cut barrel the twist rate is conrolled by turning the cutter as it passes down the barrel. Button barrels the twist is mostly controlled by the shape of the button and the twist rate can vary depending on many variables. The proof to me that cut rifling is more consistant than button rifling is the fact that quite a few button barrel makers offer different grades of barrels. I have never seen this from the cut barrel makers. The cut barrels can also be ordered with more custom twist rates, groove profiles and diameters. It is much easier to change the gear ration that creates the twist rate on a cut machine than get a button made specifically for one barrel. The down side to cut rifling... it takes much longer to rifle the barrel, several hours vs seconds...for the rifling.

It's really about personal preference since both can make a barrel that shoots better than we do. I see advantages to the cut process and that makes me a little happier when I pull the trigger so that's what I shoot....mostly....LOL
Old 09-23-2007, 10:13 AM
Platinum Member

Button rifleing builds stresses in into the barrel and cut rifleing does not...I prefer cut rifleing
Old 09-23-2007, 11:40 AM
Silver Member

I have one of each, and I cant tell the diff in accuracy or cleaning. One is a hart and one is a lilja. I think if you get a good bbl they both will be more accurate than you can be.
Old 09-23-2007, 11:57 AM
Gold Member

Hart and Lilja are both button barrels.
Old 09-23-2007, 12:38 PM
Banned

if anyone "get angry" about a post made on the internet they need to get a life, and if they anger that easily over nothing should probably have their guns taken away.
Old 09-23-2007, 01:11 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locotrician View Post
if anyone "get angry" about a post made on the internet they need to get a life, and if they anger that easily over nothing should probably have their guns taken away.

WTF are you refering too???