Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

customize or start from sratch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2012, 12:52 PM
Platinum Member

Re: customize or start from scratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Win Mag View Post
I want to build a very accurate 2 - 600yd deer rifle.

Keep in mind this will also be a "hobby rifle" and I plan to reload ammo for it as well.
Questions that come to mind -

What's your budget?

How far do you shoot now?

Which of the 3 you currently own is the most accurate at 300 yards? This, of course, assumes that you've tailored loads for each rifle since you state you handload. Any of your 3 calibers is completely capable for the yardage you mentions (600). I would likely choose the rifle you own that you like and is accurate, and start from there. As already noted here you can likely have what you want using any of your current rifles as a base. Many of us own factory rifles, or rifles with factory actions and barrels, that do exactly what you're looking for.

For any of them, I'd consider a brake to make all of this more comfortable.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:01 PM
Platinum Member

Re: customize or start from sratch

Looks like your a Model-70 fan as well.
If it were me, I'd go buy a long action rifle for cheap at a pawn shop, then send it to any of the Excellent smiths that sponsor LRH for truing the action, opening up the bolt face to a WSM in 270 or 300, installing a new pipe, & timed brake, trigger job, & quality stock. You can shop around, but I firmly belive you won't find a better smith for your intended purposes than the ones who cater to this crowd. Call a few LRH sponsor smiths, & pick any one of them with confidence.

Any of the rifles mentioned will accomplish what you want balistically with ease. If you choose to tune up one of your factory rigs, id go with the Mark V. Good cartrige, & some quality aftermarket support.
If your 300wm was not on a Ruger, it'd be my first choice cartrige wise.
Action wise would be Winchester Model-70, as there is TONS of aftermarket support, but its almost sac-religious to desicrate a 338 in a Model-70, unless it just won't shoot.

Nice "handle" by the way...

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"

Last edited by winmag; 05-06-2012 at 01:23 PM. Reason: auto correct fail.... again.... im goin back to an Amish phone!
Old 05-06-2012, 04:59 PM
Platinum Member

I made my longest shot over 1300 yards using a wby mk 5 300 wby on a muley buck near Alder Montana in 1976. It is a great cartridge and rifle. I would accurize it, work up a good load and use that one.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:14 PM
Platinum Member

Get your action trued and get a new after market barrel chambered for the caliber you want. Then get your action bedded. This is the minimum that I would do to have a tac driver. Cost would be about $450 + or -.

joseph
Old 05-06-2012, 11:43 PM
Silver Member

One of my shooting buddies shoots a mark V in 300 weatherby, he has a magnabrake from magna-port. I am not kidding but this thing recoils like a 22-250. I can not believe how soft shooting it is. I would go with the weatherby.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:33 PM

Lots of good suggestions. The model 70 is almost impossible to beat in my book but the mark v is defiantly a sweet rifle as well. If the 300 weatherby is as tamable as some of you suggest I would be pretty interested in going that route. Right now that is the only rifle I have ever hunted with that will make your ears ring and kick you so hard it's hard to refocus for a second shot (if required) in the field. As for reloading I am very green.
Average range I shoot now is 100 to about 450 yds. Last season I had a couple of monster whitetails standing around 600 yds and didn't take the shots. Since then I have been trying to do as much research as possible (and practicing) in hopes that next time I can bring the horns home (and meat) not another "the one that got away story". Anyways lots of good knowledge here as I have been reading this forum for quite some time before finally joined. You guys know your guns.

P.S. My bad with the handle... oops!
Old 05-07-2012, 10:49 PM
Silver Member

LTLR... I live right down the road from alder thats nice country bet it was really nice in 1976 a little more crowded now during hunting season anyways

I think that win mag would do you well for what your looking for send it off to Grit and have him work his magic and you'll have a shooter for sure... you probably own a better caliber, but the 300 is a sweet rig to reload for and maintain..and the case looks erily similar to that of a 308 hmmm and they are almost always a shooter....

Grit has my 338 lapua right now just waiting to see it once it gets done is killing me!!!!

Jordan