Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Custom Wood Stocks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2007, 01:53 PM
Silver Member

Custom Wood Stocks

How many of you have had custom wood stocks built for a rifle and if you have who built it for you?

I realize in some ways time has moved past putting a beautiful wood stock on a fine rifle.

Well Iím going nostalgic. Iím getting ready to have a custom exhibition grade Walnut or exhibition grade Myrtle or Maple stock made for my 300 WSM LH Winchester Model 70 featherweight. Canít decide on which wood I like best. A feather-crotch or burl walnut stock is beautiful, but Iíve seen some Burl and Fiddleback Myrtle or Maple stocks that are beautiful. Too many choices! Any thoughts?

My plan is to have the featherweight stock duplicated right down to the checkering pattern, but in a beautiful piece of exhibition grade wood. Iím also thinking of adding a cheek piece.

Just trying to work out all the configurations.

Mathew 5:16

Distance is not an issue, but the wind will make it interesting!
Old 06-29-2007, 02:24 PM
Silver Member

Re: Custom Wood Stocks

There is not doubt that a well made wood stock on a quality weapon is a thing of beauty, if not necessarily the most effective material available for a stock anymore.

But seeing a well built wooden stock on a piece of steel is a joy in itself.

Keep us updated and show us pics when you get the chance!

Bill

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

http://waitesandbalances.blogspot.com/
Old 06-29-2007, 03:58 PM
Silver Member

Re: Custom Wood Stocks

I like the look of walnut, but like the reliability of synthetic. When I built my 9.3x64 on a LH Zastava Mauser, I wanted something with a classic look. I chose a laminated walnut stock made by Geoff Slee. The result was a finished stock that exceeded my expectations.