Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Custom Turrets for elevation only, or windage also?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2011, 05:01 PM

Custom Turrets for elevation only, or windage also?

I am getting ready to order a custom turret and was wondering if I should bother with the windage turret, or should I just go with the elevation?

What do most of you do? Any drawbacks to windage? I'm getting the Military format which has the marked yardages as well as the MOA numbers.

Last edited by squeeeeze; 10-18-2011 at 07:16 PM.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:27 PM
Silver Member

Re: Custom Turrets for elevation only, or windage also?

You should only get the elevation turret made. The windage is not needed. You will need to learn to read the wind out to any distance you feel you can shoot and adjust accordingly.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:57 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavageShtr View Post
You should only get the elevation turret made. The windage is not needed. You will need to learn to read the wind out to any distance you feel you can shoot and adjust accordingly.
Yep, making a caliber/load specific windage turrett that was accurate would make it as hard to read as a slide rule.

Best to go with a wind chart specific to your caliber if you aren't using a ballitic calculator in the field.

As long as you have a turret that reads true MOA he should be good to go.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:42 PM
Platinum Member

I don't use Huskemaw. But, I like their system.

The Elevation turret is calibrated to your load/conditions.

Once you have an accurate range, you dial to the correct distance and there's a subscript indicating the MOA holdoff for windage compensation for a full value 10mph wind.

At that point, you can either hold or dial for wind. Since Huskemaw includes MOA hash marks in the reticle, the wind hold is fast and easy.

It's faster and easier than looking on a chart. But, calibrated turrets are only good within some range of conditions. You can revise and print as many charts as you like and get them laminated at Kinkos.

Nikon is now offering custom turrets for $99. They plan to address wind in a near future revision.

-- richard

Last edited by rscott5028; 10-19-2011 at 01:43 PM. Reason: grammar