Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Custom/Semi-custom build question?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2011, 02:00 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Custom/Semi-custom build question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95huskers View Post
WildRose,

I like this idea of converting the VSSF to a .260. What bullet are you running in yours and how will it compare ballistically to my 6.5-284? I'd really like to shoot the Berger VLD hunting bullets if possible. Also, Would there be a cheaper company other than Krieger that could do this for me? I'm on a bit of a budget and $800 is a little bigger pill than I can swallow at this time. Thanks!
Look at the swift scirocco's.

Superior hunting bullet and an outstanding LR bullet.

Call Krieger and talk to them. I don't know exactly what it would cost but I'm sure it's under 800.00.

You can also look at the Lapua Senar's in 123gr. Not a great hunting bullett but outstanding for HV and high BC varmint and target.

120-130gr is where the .260 really shines as far as hitting the balance between velocity and accuracy.

6.5mm/.264 Caliber - Rifle Bullets - Scirocco II - Bullets without equal!

Products - Lapua

If you want to go with the savage, just consider how much you'll spend by the time you rebarrel, restock, new trigger etc... .

Either way you'll be in the 600-800.00 range most likely by the time you are done so get the most for your money and enjoy it for a lifetime.

I never think in the short term with guns as I've never sold but one that I had. When I get one, it's part of me. Some guys just swap and trade them like cars or underwear and change with the mood. I don't have the cash or the desire to do that so I bide my time.

It's taken me about 18 months to get my AR in .260 together and I'm glad I took the time to do it right even though there were times I came close to saying "screw it" and just picked up something used from someone else.

By the time I'm done, optics and all I'll have about 2,800-3000.00 in it and I'll be very happy with the end product. I could have saved a thousand or so going the other way, but this one is mine from bottom to top.

It's better to wait a few months and put extra in the kitty than it is to get in a rush, spend a bunch of money, and end up with something less than you really wanted.
Old 10-21-2011, 02:43 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Custom/Semi-custom build question?

Lapua Senar's in 123gr and 123 gr Hornady's are what Im starting with.