Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Custom Rifle from Sharp Shooter Supply

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2007, 07:13 PM
Gold Member

Re: Custom Rifle from Sharp Shooter Supply

Careful, don't wander up in Erie county with that new 30/06.
Old 02-24-2007, 11:05 PM
Bronze Member

Lothar Walthar makes prechambered barrels for savages as well and I'm hearing nothing but good things about them.
I'll be ordering a 1 in 8 .260 before summer.

Lothar Walthar Savage barrels

TAC
Old 02-25-2007, 03:43 PM
Silver Member

Spades,

Jerry Teo has given you some excellent advice and if you heed it closely you can't go wrong.

I'm not a big fan of the AccuTrigger and I see that Jerry recommended a SSS trigger. I agree with that advice too. I've owned 5 Savages with AccuTriggers and only one of them was worth a hoot. The SSS trigger and the Rifle Basix triggers are EXCELLENT!

If you think that you might sell the rifle and move on to another one in the next year or so (like so many of us do) then I strongly advise that you use a Remington for your build. They hold their resale value WAAAAY better. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

I learned that the HARD way when I tired of Savages. It cost me a pretty big loss to discount them before they finally sold.

$bob$
Old 02-26-2007, 08:30 PM
Gold Member

LDHUNTER<

NW FL piney woods hhhmmmmm Where that might be? bet Ive been there hahaha.....I aint from where you see!
Old 09-24-2012, 07:55 AM

Seems that it is all but impossible to deal with SSS. Unfortunately for me, I chose SSS to do 6mmBR build for me in April'12. Even more foolish, I prepaid the build when I shipped my new Savage action.I have found it all but totally impossible get any status information on my build. I was once able get a estimate of when the build would begin (long passed). Later I received a response to a email when asked for a price for installing a bipod stud in the stock.
More recently I have been unable to make contact by phone and receive no response to my email inquiries.
The SSS website has been down for three days or more.
I greatly regret my initial decision to go to SSS for my build, my regrets might one day be tempered should I one day receive my rifle and find that it actually performs well.
Whatever the quality of the work and products from SSS, no company with such terrible customer relations should be allowed to stay in business. I have attempted to contact SSS to purchase a replacement stock for my Savage MkII but have since decided that I am not willing to deal with their unacceptable service another time!
Old 09-24-2012, 07:59 PM
Platinum Member

Carljohndavis mine is a 6mm Norma BR. with a 26" Brux 1 in 8" twist S/S barrel with a .271 necked chamber. Most do a .272. No neck turning needed and it shoots great. I shoot Berger 105 gr. VLDs.

This is the one Stockade Gunstocks made for me. In fact Mr. Kevin Rayhill built the whole rifle for me. You need to know that the composite stocks will weigh about 2 pounds less than the wood laminated ones. SSS did do the "BLING" on the bolt for me. All the work that both of them did for me was top notch. In fact the first 5 shot group shot from it at 100 yds. measured .084". My best at 200 yds. measured .375 for 5 shots. It is one of my "hunting" rifles. - - - - - - - - - -

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=366263

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=374570&highlight=

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=564977&highlight=

joseph

PS: Had the "bling" in 2 weeks and the rifle in 5 weeks. I bet the time now will be a lot longer because they have a lot more orders to fill. They both have excellent reputations. As for answering the phone by SSS you are better off calling them on Thursday. You won't regret having either one do your work.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Custom Rifle from Sharp Shooter Supply-bling-4.jpg   Custom Rifle from Sharp Shooter Supply-setup-4.jpg