Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Custom long range rifle set-up, Need some tips!?!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2010, 07:44 AM

Re: Custom long range rifle set-up, Need some tips!?!

Oooooohhh you have nothing to worry about with pictures it wouldnt surprise me if i put the rifle as my desktop photo haha from what im thinking in my mind putting all the components togeather it will kinda look like an m24 that is if i get the hs precsion stock anyway

Jay
Old 04-07-2010, 03:59 PM
Platinum Member

+1 pics are required. Good luck with the build and keep us posted on how it goes.
Old 04-08-2010, 05:13 AM

It looks good to me. Some food for thought might be a Barnard action and mate it to a Robertson Composites tactical stock.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:39 AM

Just taken a look at the manners MCS-GAT and that stock for the money you pay looks completely 100% worth it, its little extra money than the hs precision just under $100 more than the hs precision psv and it moves away from the classic hunter style stock into the tactical range with its seemingly lightweight thumbhole stock with butthook which is in my opinion worth every penny! Manners stocks is most definately replacing the hs precision stocks ive picked as the manners are in a different league and they are so worth the money. the T2/T5 models again look outstanding fairly similar to the GAT but with and adjustable cheek peice etc.. bit over budget for a stock for me though. thanks for the tip Mckinneymike

Thanks again - Jay

Last edited by Pepperboy; 04-08-2010 at 10:42 AM.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:29 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepperboy View Post
Just taken a look at the manners MCS-GAT and that stock for the money you pay looks completely 100% worth it, its little extra money than the hs precision just under $100 more than the hs precision psv and it moves away from the classic hunter style stock into the tactical range with its seemingly lightweight thumbhole stock with butthook which is in my opinion worth every penny! Manners stocks is most definately replacing the hs precision stocks ive picked as the manners are in a different league and they are so worth the money. the T2/T5 models again look outstanding fairly similar to the GAT but with and adjustable cheek peice etc.. bit over budget for a stock for me though. thanks for the tip Mckinneymike

Thanks again - Jay
Good folks at Manners too!
Old 04-08-2010, 03:18 PM
Silver Member

I think you have figured out some really good components. If this will be a walking/hiking hunting rifle, I'd also direct you toward a lighter profile barrel. But I also carry an MTU taper on my hunting rifle, so if you don't mind the weight, then it'll work well for you. As far as the stock, I prefer the McMillan stocks over the HSP. Specifically, I like the A3 model for all around. Of the two scopes you mention, I only have experience with the NF and really like them. I'd also recommend a bit heavier on the trigger, more like 2.5 lbs for a hunting rig. Personal preference there as I know a lot of others really like them light. Anyway, good luck on your build. Post pics when it is finished.

Geb
Old 04-09-2010, 05:49 AM

Yeahh weight isnt a problem for me and besides if this is a long range rifle i would prefer to have a heavier barrel for those ranged shots. and ive found a pic which i think will be very similar to my finished product the only difference is that it doesnt have a stiller action and i might get the stock with a different camo pattern.

But apart from those differences it will be extremely similar to my my rifle on completion.
All in all this baby is going to be pretty damn sexyy!!

Jay