Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Custom Long Range Deer Rifle for a Non-Handloader

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2011, 06:53 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Custom Long Range Deer Rifle for a Non-Handloader

Quote:
but depends what you think what hi recoil
20.1 ft-lbs of free recoil energy and a free recoil velocity of 12.7 fps in an 8.0 Lbs rifle
Old 02-10-2011, 10:15 PM
Platinum Member

when you say super acccurate custom. does that mean a bat action, krieger barrel, mcm stock?? how heavy of a gun?? i say 7mm rem mag . or one of the 7's.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:19 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roninflag View Post
when you say super acccurate custom. does that mean a bat action, krieger barrel, mcm stock?? how heavy of a gun?? i say 7mm rem mag . or one of the 7's.
No. It will likely be a LA Precision action, 26" #5 Krieger, McMillan stock, Jewell trigger. Probably about 9 lbs without the scope or mounts.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:30 PM
Platinum Member

I used to own a Savage 110 in 270 WSM that probably fit your requirements, except that it was way too cheap. Very, very accurate and great for longer range had I wished to do so.

If starting from scratch and wanting factory ammo, I'd also think 7mm Rem Mag. There is quite a bit of variety of ammo including the Bergers as noted previously and it's got enough oomph for longer range shots in almost any form.

FYI, Dad got 2 antelope last fall, one at 512 and another at 816 yards with an Ultralightweight 7mm Wby Mag. So, the 7mm's can definitely do it.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:53 PM
Platinum Member

A lot of guys are recommending 7mm Rem Mag.

That's great. My 14yo son shot a doe with my Sendero 7mm Rem Mag at 548 yds this year. (180g Berger handloads)

It's a fairly heavy rifle and it would still not be fun to practice with if it didn't have a brake. Without it, it's got at least as much recoil as my lighter weight 30-06.

I don't know why your buddy is oppossed to a brake. But, I might suggest having an indexed brake installed so that it's not so bad when shooting prone and also get a thread protector made so that he can remove it if he likes.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:03 PM
Platinum Member

On the flip side, I shoot Dad's 7mm Wby (regular and ULW), my 7mm Wby and my 7mm Rem Mag Sendero, no brake, no problem. I've just gotten used to them, I guess.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:30 PM
Silver Member

7mag, HS Precision stock (add limbsaver or pachmayr recoil pad)
Heavy recoil lug, shoot, if need be bed the rifle, shoot, if need be change the barrel, shoot again and if all is well fill the freezer. If you want to go completely overboard blueprint the action OH Federal ammo loaded with 140g barnes TSX or Tipped TSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZelenka View Post
I have a friend who is interested in building a super accurate rifle for deer hunting out to 500 or so yards. He is not a handloader, nor is he likely to be. I can get the rifle built, but I am trying to figure out a caliber to suggest. He will be hunting whitetail deer over agricultural fields. The parameters are good available factory ammunition and a flat enough trajectory to minimize holdover with about a 200 or 250 yd zero. He also doesn't want excessive recoil or a muzzle brake. I think he would stay away from a .300 magnum, but a smaller magnum would work. He is currently shooting a .30-06 so it has to be something flatter than that. I have a few thoughts on calibers to suggest, but I would like to hear from you guys.