Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

custom barrel advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2012, 03:17 PM
Platinum Member

Re: custom barrel advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsbriar View Post
So as I walk my way through building my 260 rem on a savage action, I have come to a stoppping point and need a little advice. keeping in mind that I want to build a long range hunting rifle, that could also be a decent bench rifle what would you guys recommend for barrel specs.?

I am leaning towards a 24-26 inch stainless steel mcgowen barrel, but beyond that, its all greek.

barrel? thinking is will be mcgowen (open to other suggestions)
barrel length?: 24-26

BUT

which contour?
fluting?
crown type?

thanks in advance
I would say with those goals 26-28" and no lighter than the Sendero contour.

As to makers man there's a half dozen great barrel makers out there or more. Lilja, Benchmark, Bruton, Krieger, Hart, Shilen.... . and on and on.

If you check around there are wholesalers with quality barrels from all of the above and more in stock and ready to go which alleviates wait times ordering straight from the MFG.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:28 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
As to makers man there's a half dozen great barrel makers out there or more. Lilja, Benchmark, Bruton, Krieger, Hart, Shilen....
Excellent choice of barrels ... not familiar with Bruton though?

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:28 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEENIX View Post
Excellent choice of barrels ... not familiar with Bruton though?
Perhaps if I'd spelled it right?

Broughton Rifle Barrels by North Manufacturing Co., Inc.

A lot of the tactical shooters swear by them.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:40 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
Perhaps if I'd spelled it right?

Broughton Rifle Barrels by North Manufacturing Co., Inc.

A lot of the tactical shooters swear by them.

DUH! I forgot about that ... kinda slow this morning.

IIRC, (Jeff) BROZ use them with excellent results.

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:46 PM
Silver Member

Contact Information for NSS:
E-mail - briggs.j-b@q.com (that is Q.com not G.com)
Phone - 763/682-4296 - BEST WAY TO CONTACT ME
Fax - 763/682-6098
Jim Briggs from Northland Shooters Supply He is the man when it comes to savage's.also when u are getting a barrel get a thicker recoil lug.I strongly sugest a Criterion Hand Lapped Match Grade Barrels .He has them in stock and shilen as well.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:03 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsbriar View Post
no offese taken. this is all new to me!

I want to build a long range hunting rifle in 260 rem. that being said it needs to be a reasonably comfortable rifle to hike with (8-9lbs? maybe a bit more?), but fully capable of taking shots out past 500 yards with reliable accuracy.

This will not be a bench rifle, but I do want a finished product capable of giving me 1/2" MOA with 130 gr. accubonds or SSTs or similar

as for a DIY, yes, I plan to build the rifle myself start to finish on a savage action. I am quite comfortable doing all this work. but, I do not want to make a mistake selecting the wrong barrel for my application.

so, this is where I need some good advice from those that have been there.

barrel manufacturer?:
contour?:
crown type?:
AND, any other suggestions you may have!!!

hope this additional info helps.

thanks everyone!!
Are you talking 8-9 lbs total or just a bare rifle? I have a Remington Model 7 in .260...factory pencil barrel, and it's barely under 8 lbs scoped with a 3-12x42SF Monarch. No sling, no bipod, nothing but the rifle and scope.

About the twist...as stated, if you're good with the 130gr bullets, 1:9 is the way to go. My factory barrel is a 1:9 twist and after a trigger job and bedding the stock, it eats up 129gr SSTs on 49.3 gr of RL22, Federal 210 GM primers in R-P brass at 2.800". I got just shy of 2900 FPS out of the 20" barrel and grouped three into 0.174" at 100.

I keep wondering about aftermarket stock or barrel, but I can't justify it based on the results I have.

I'd rather save up for a custom gun with a heavier barrel rather than mess with something that already works.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:10 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtkratzer View Post
Are you talking 8-9 lbs total or just a bare rifle? I have a Remington Model 7 in .260...factory pencil barrel, and it's barely under 8 lbs scoped with a 3-12x42SF Monarch. No sling, no bipod, nothing but the rifle and scope.

About the twist...as stated, if you're good with the 130gr bullets, 1:9 is the way to go. My factory barrel is a 1:9 twist and after a trigger job and bedding the stock, it eats up 129gr SSTs on 49.3 gr of RL22, Federal 210 GM primers in R-P brass at 2.800". I got just shy of 2900 FPS out of the 20" barrel and grouped three into 0.174" at 100.

I keep wondering about aftermarket stock or barrel, but I can't justify it based on the results I have.

I'd rather save up for a custom gun with a heavier barrel rather than mess with something that already works.
??? a new Sendero will come in at or under 9lbs and that's with the H-S stock and Sendero taper barrel.

If I remember correctly my last bdl 7mm Rem Mag was right at 7lbs with the magnum sporter barrel and factory plastic stock.