Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Custom Ballistic Turrets - Need some help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2012, 10:41 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Custom Ballistic Turrets - Need some help

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortpants View Post
I usually agree with what WildRose stated above when it comes to BDC turrets or reticles but will disagree here. I believe BDC reticles and turrets are the perfect for inside 600yds. They will be close enough for hunting purposes regardless of changes in environment. They are faster and eliminate the possibility of screwing up numbers in MOA or MIL setups. Past 600yds I believe BDC systems should not be relied on. There is no one correction fits all at long range. I really like the G7 turrets. Best of both worlds!
Well I was making my recomendation specifically due to the caliber and range. Out to 500yds the .270 is a very flat shooter and so a sight in at 450yds requires very, very little adjustment.

For myself with all of the calibers I shoot out to 500yds I don't ever bother to dope and dial, just adjust my hold because like the .270 they are all very flat shooters.

Ballistics Calculator v1.0

Of course I've spent most of the last 30 years shooting this way so it's pretty well automatic for me. Again most of my shooting isn't done from ambush/hide it's basically snap shooting on the fly which is a whole different game.

It works well for me but I've had a lot of practice doing it.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:12 AM
Gold Member

When I said I disagreed with you it really was not meant to say your methods were incorrect. I believe any correction method that is practiced and well understood will work fine for 500yd hunting and beyond. My point was anytime someone brings up BDC as a method for correction I usually argue against it. When it comes to long range ( past 600 ) I'm not a BDC fan because I believe to be precise at these longer distances everything should be accounted for. THAT DOES NOT MEAN IT CAN'T WORK! I just think under 600 you can get away with shortcuts that you can't get away with beyond that. This is not caliber specific but rather a general OPINION of mine. WildRose your methods will work just as well and you have proven that time and again. I look forward to the day I can shoot as good as you and many others on this site.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:53 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortpants View Post
When I said I disagreed with you it really was not meant to say your methods were incorrect. I believe any correction method that is practiced and well understood will work fine for 500yd hunting and beyond. My point was anytime someone brings up BDC as a method for correction I usually argue against it. When it comes to long range ( past 600 ) I'm not a BDC fan because I believe to be precise at these longer distances everything should be accounted for. THAT DOES NOT MEAN IT CAN'T WORK! I just think under 600 you can get away with shortcuts that you can't get away with beyond that. This is not caliber specific but rather a general OPINION of mine. WildRose your methods will work just as well and you have proven that time and again. I look forward to the day I can shoot as good as you and many others on this site.
No offense taken at all. You just showed me I needed to explain further my line of thinking.