Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Custom Ballistic Turrets - Need some help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2012, 12:09 PM
Bronze Member

Custom Ballistic Turrets - Need some help

OK long range guys... I am starting to practice now in preperation for 500 yards shots on a hunt coming up in October. I purchased a 3.5-18x44 Z5 with a ballistic turret and I am thinking about getting two custom turrets made for it. One will be at 0ft elevation, and the other will be at 11,000ft elevation.
My hunt will take place in 9000-14000 ft elevation, with 10-12 being the average (from what I can tell from previous reports). Shots will be around 400 yards on average, but I dont think I will feel comfortable shooting more than 500 yards or so.
They dont make an MOA turret or I would just use that. I will still have my charts for backup / wind / etc...
So my questions is from your experience, will a custom turret setup at 11,000 ft be sufficient for a hunt taking place between 9000-14000ft? I need it in the kill zone if I do my part, but it doens't have to split hairs at 500 yards.

Rifle Inc Strata 270 WSM shooting Federal Premium Accubond 140gr
Here is a link to the custom turret
http://www.swarovskioptik.us/upload/...%5B3077%5D.pdf

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 06-27-2012, 12:59 PM
Gold Member

Re: Custom Ballistic Turrets - Need some help

Crunching some rough numbers I came up with 2" less drop and 2.5" less drift at 14000ft than at 9000ft @ 500yds. with a 10mph wind. I used 2800fps as a velocity but that was a wild guess. I'd say having a turret made for 11000 would put you right on target out to 500. Go a day early and test your shooting to be real sure. Best of luck!
Old 06-27-2012, 03:35 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks, that confirms what I was finding also. According to the chrono from the gun maker (shooting this load from this rifle) it cranks out of the muzzle at ~3100fps.

Thanks!
Kevin
Old 06-28-2012, 02:09 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhtkevin View Post
OK long range guys... I am starting to practice now in preperation for 500 yards shots on a hunt coming up in October. I purchased a 3.5-18x44 Z5 with a ballistic turret and I am thinking about getting two custom turrets made for it. One will be at 0ft elevation, and the other will be at 11,000ft elevation.
My hunt will take place in 9000-14000 ft elevation, with 10-12 being the average (from what I can tell from previous reports). Shots will be around 400 yards on average, but I dont think I will feel comfortable shooting more than 500 yards or so.
They dont make an MOA turret or I would just use that. I will still have my charts for backup / wind / etc...
So my questions is from your experience, will a custom turret setup at 11,000 ft be sufficient for a hunt taking place between 9000-14000ft? I need it in the kill zone if I do my part, but it doens't have to split hairs at 500 yards.

Rifle Inc Strata 270 WSM shooting Federal Premium Accubond 140gr
Here is a link to the custom turret
http://www.swarovskioptik.us/upload/...%5B3077%5D.pdf

Thanks,
Kevin
If it were me I'd simply stick with the plain MOA turrets and make up drop charts for the different elevatons you will be hunting at. None of the aftermarket BDC turrets are going to be as accurate as doing that.

Just set your zero for 450 and have +/- X MOA adjustments on your chart and you'd be far better off.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:17 AM
Platinum Member

You turret set-up for 11000 elevation will be fine. Elevation effects will be minimal at the ranges you're shooting. You can make minor adjustments and still be on hair if required. The more relevant variables that you could run into at those elevations will be the effects of the angle of the shot, and wind doping. Your turret system wll save you time with elevation adjustment, and allow more time for wind and angle adjustments if required.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 06-28-2012, 03:29 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
If it were me I'd simply stick with the plain MOA turrets and make up drop charts for the different elevatons you will be hunting at. None of the aftermarket BDC turrets are going to be as accurate as doing that.

Just set your zero for 450 and have +/- X MOA adjustments on your chart and you'd be far better off.

I would love to but neither Swarovski or Outdoorsman makes a simple MOA turrent. Silly, I know. I asked a fwe dealers and they said yeah, but I asked swarovski directly and they said no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
You turret set-up for 11000 elevation will be fine. Elevation effects will be minimal at the ranges you're shooting. You can make minor adjustments and still be on hair if required. The more relevant variables that you could run into at those elevations will be the effects of the angle of the shot, and wind doping. Your turret system wll save you time with elevation adjustment, and allow more time for wind and angle adjustments if required.
Thanks, that is exactly what I was thinking.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:54 PM
Gold Member

I usually agree with what WildRose stated above when it comes to BDC turrets or reticles but will disagree here. I believe BDC reticles and turrets are the perfect for inside 600yds. They will be close enough for hunting purposes regardless of changes in environment. They are faster and eliminate the possibility of screwing up numbers in MOA or MIL setups. Past 600yds I believe BDC systems should not be relied on. There is no one correction fits all at long range. I really like the G7 turrets. Best of both worlds!