Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

crows with a 338 Kahn

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2006, 08:36 PM
Gold Member

crows with a 338 Kahn

I have a new home under construction and just planted a 7 acre clover patch out back. I went over there today to do a little cleaning up after the carpenters and some other work.

I'm having hunting season withdrawal, so I put my 338 Kahn in the truck just in case some kind of critter made a mistake.

A couple of crows landed out in the field, I ran out to the truck and got the Kahn and my swaro rangefinder. 197yds. Dialed -8 clicks on the NF NXS, rested the rifle on a window sill, and BOOOM. Dead crow [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

About an hour later another crow lit. 228yds. Same setting....BOOOM. Another dead crow [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Got full pass throughs of the 250grn SMKs. Neither bird took a step.

Boy, I must really have it bad to get this excited about a couple of crows [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-11-2006, 08:53 PM
Platinum Member

Re: crows with a 338 Kahn

went clear through? maybe you should try the 180 b-tips. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] shooting crows is a lot of fun.
Old 03-11-2006, 09:25 PM
Gold Member

good story, thats a good way to break up a work weekend[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-11-2006, 09:35 PM
Platinum Member

In the last few months we have shot some crows with the Allen Mags and have started calling them "poof birds" because they go poof when they sit still long enough [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

My buddy let his nephew try his 270 AM on a magpie at a ranged 345 yards and there was nothing visible at the shot but a small cloud of light colored feathers floating off on the breeze. POOF [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] The magpie just turned into the little cloud but the crows usually have a puff of feathers and then usually 2 or 3 larger chunks come falling down. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

My buddy shot one crow in a pine at 300 yards. There were about 6 or 8 other crows flying around the same area but just the one landed. When he came down in chunks the others flew circles around the area of the pine tree for about 30-45 seconds before they took off. I don't know if they were wondering what happened to their buddy or what but they acted kind of wierd for almost a minute before they split.

Nothing wrong with shooting varmints, and like you, we have been getting complete pass throughs. It sure makes the deer and elk look big, even at much longer ranges. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-11-2006, 09:57 PM
Platinum Member

ss7mm,

I'm setting chomping at the bit for that 270 am to get ready.

Heard a rumor that magpies are protected over here. But I have a plan for a 500 yd one then a 1K. Lotsa dead calves for bait around here in the spring [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

But I think I'll have the 338 RUM running first. It ain't no Kahn but I don't care if the 250 WC doesn't exit. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Good goin [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 03-12-2006, 08:52 AM
Gold Member

RDM416,

I think you need to use a bigger cased cartridge on those crows so you can get those 250 gr WC bullets to expand on those tsrgets. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Sounds like you have a shooter. Congratulations on the new home too.

JD338
Old 03-12-2006, 06:28 PM
Platinum Member

Now that's an Arkie shooter for you [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Jim B.