Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

crosswind affects drop

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2009, 11:25 PM
Platinum Member

crosswind affects drop

I was told by T.D.Smith (the guy who invented the Swarov TDS reticle) that a left to right crosswind (right hand twist) affects bullet drop by 1/4 of wind drift. (i.e. 40" drift=10" drop added) Anybody familiar with that?.....Rich
Old 08-18-2009, 12:25 AM
Platinum Member

Re: crosswind affects drop

First time I've ever heard or read of anything anywheres near that significant. Believe I've read there could be a slight horizontal cross-wind affect on drop, but so slight as to be ignored.

I'll dismiss that rule of thumb until and unless I see further legitimate references which substantiate it.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:48 AM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

I am not actually 100% up to snuff on this subject. It is another issue I have been needing to research a bit further so take what is said here with a grain of salt.

Here is what I do know. I know that the principal of what he stated to you is true. There is a verticle component with crosswinds and not just horozontal. I have bever been led to believe nor have I seen so much effect that it equalled 1/4 of the horozontal component.

Maybe GG, 50, Carlock or Litz has a more educated answer on the subject.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:18 AM
Platinum Member

This will give all of you something to think about-----learn this and the wind will be your friend!

Last edited by Boss Hoss; 08-18-2009 at 08:22 AM.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:30 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Hoss View Post
This will give all of you something to think about-----learn this and the wind will be your friend!

I've reviewed this chart and supportive narrative in the past and found it helpful. You may have even been the member that provided it in another Thread. But there's nothing here to suggest a significant crosswind-caused elevation rise or drop. Not one that can be calculated (pre-determined), let alone a 1:4 ratio of drop:crosswind.

Wind = friend is perhaps overstatement? Less the enemy - yes. The knowledge is certainly a helpful aid.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:57 AM
Platinum Member

The bottom line is when competing at 1K if you do not know how to judge condition you do not win----fact plain and simple. Shooting at an anmial if you do not know how to judge condition at long range is nor responsible. People who struggle with the wind make it easier for me to beat them. Personally I hate shooting a match in calm or close to calm conditions.

Last edited by Boss Hoss; 08-18-2009 at 01:55 PM.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:40 PM
Silver Member

If crosswind causes a drop, then does bullet rotation cause a rise when it is into the wind?

Where is Litz when you need him?

Probably at Camp Perry!!

Bill

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

http://waitesandbalances.blogspot.com/