Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Crossing Canadian Border

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2003, 10:02 PM

Re: Crossing Canadian Border

Right on Jerry, very good advice.... a few years ago I was crossing into Canada at the Sarnia border crossing... going to visit some friends on the Bruce. Planning on doing a little plinking and groundhog shooting, so had 2 or 3 rifles and plenty of ammo with me. Declared at the border and no problem until they decided to search my vehicle....... Forgot all about my PPK 380 Pistol burried under candy wrappers and gas receipts in my center console. Yep they found it along with my very favorite folding Buck knife. I was promptly arrested, my Blazer confiscated and I was charged with smuggling contraband into the country(a felony)!!!! They ask who the pistol belonged to and I told them it was mine, so thank goodness they did not arrest my wife. To make a long story short, after she bailed me out, and paid to retrieve my vehicle we finished our trip. Several months, a couple of court appearances, letters attesting to my charachter from my local sherriff and banker, and about 6,000.00 later I was cleared of the charges. Never could get my PPK back, and the attorney said I was really lucky to have been cleared of the chrges to not press my luck!!! But you better believe, whenever I go into Canada now, I thoroughly check my vehicle to make sure I did not forget and leave any pistols or knives stashed anywhere.

This all happened several years ago, long before the increased security!!!I only relate this experience in the hopes it will prevent someone else the embarrassment and expense of a similar encounter.
deadeye2/almost a Canadian felon [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

[ 08-31-2003: Message edited by: deadeye2 ]