Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Coyotes effecting Whitetails?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-01-2007, 08:27 PM
Platinum Member

Shot one from the basement door while the family watched from the kitchen. It was under the trampoline. Now they are crapping under the poplar tree.:(

I shoot starlings during the day and the yotes clean 'em up during the night. I'm training 'em.;) One of these nights, bang!

Originally Posted by mikenc View Post
Heck, if people are upset by people shooting from a truck window, I wonder what they'd say about shooting coyotes from the comfort of your sofa or recliner? Maybe even from the throne. Place the t.v. in just the right place and you can create and play x-box hunting "LIVE" for real. LOL

Just joking,,,the mental picture is devastating to the mind.
I may be the slowest guy on the mountain . . . . but . . . . I'm on the mountain!

Unread 12-01-2007, 09:04 PM
Gold Member
Coyote vs AR15

In this country, yotes are a relatively short distance affair. AR-15 with 69 gr SMK is just the ticket, especially when they come in two or three at a time! Time to get the FoxPro tuned up...........

NRA Life Member
ISRA Member
RMEF Member
Unread 12-01-2007, 09:35 PM
Gold Member
Absolutely coyotes will have a bad effect on the deer population. Here in Washington I've seen them after even adult mule deer, and the fawns are easy prey. In the winter, adult mulies can become prey.

Coyote size likely has something to do with it. We get some big ones here - I shot one a few years back that measures a full 60" from tip of nose to tip of tail. Kept that hide, but have seen others of equal size since. He probably weighed close to 50 pounds too.

I didn't take the attached photo - borrowed it from another web site where it caught my attention. The story said that it was two 'yotes going after a mature mulie buck near Yellowstone National Park. From what I've seen, I have no trouble believing it. Just this afternoon I took a shot at a yote at about 350 yards. Have to admit that I missed him, but I'll be back out, after them again all winter long while the mulies are most vulnerable.

Regards, Guy
Unread 12-01-2007, 09:57 PM
Silver Member
I watched two big 'yotes sniffing around a thicket full of deer at @100 yards away this AM. The deer weren't too worried. They'll rip up fawns, for sure, and will definitely stalk a herd looking for the weak and sick. Seen it a bunch. Now, bobcats, on the other hand, will worry a deer to the max. I had some deer bust past my stand while bow hunting 3 weeks ago looking over their shoulders and blowing. A few minutes later, THREE bobcats strolled through & stopped to lounge a bit. All under 25 yards - it was a joy to see.

The thing that's causing heavy stress on deer in many areas is disease. A high deer density area like you described is a prime target for CWD and 'blue tongue', which is wiping out bunches of deer. It might be worthwhile to check with DNR biologists and see what's up....... Other than that - poaching. Don't ignore the possibility.
Unread 12-01-2007, 10:13 PM
Gold Member
They don't seem to have that much effect on Deer here in the east. But they sure mess with my wild turkeys!

I think they have plenty of woodchucks to eat so they never really bother the least not the mature ones.
Member 7MM STW Club
Unread 12-02-2007, 09:54 AM
Platinum Member
I think they effect healthy and unhealthy herds of elk mulies and whitetails and keep me awake nights for a week at a time when campingin and I'll kill every one i see

My coyote from 10-06 pictures from friends & fun photos on webshots

NRA Life Member
Unread 12-02-2007, 10:23 AM
Silver Member
Same here

We see deer all the time but not this year. I have caught 5 Coyotes in snares in the last 30 days,