Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Coyote hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2005, 05:01 PM
Gold Member

Re: Coyote hunting

I am forced to adapt two very different styles of hunting the property I am on: 30 feet up a pine tree or laying prone on high-lines.

Can I use howlers, etc. from high up in pine trees without blowing my 'cover'? Treestands offer me the best visibility and combined mobility.

How far between locations should I travel when calling if there is no wind?
Old 11-30-2005, 06:28 PM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
4ked,

If you ever need somebody to go with you yote hunting, I'd gladly join you. I have only been out 2 times and have yet to kill a dog.

Sean

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure we can arrange something. 4ked and I only went out once last year [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-30-2005, 07:37 PM
Platinum Member

On the same trip. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I went a few more times than that.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:41 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
If you ever need somebody to go with you yote hunting, I'd gladly join you. I have only been out 2 times and have yet to kill a dog.

[/ QUOTE ]

We can set something up at the get together. Let me know if you are coming to that. Check your mail or the other post if you haven't done so yet.

2 times is just a start. Patience, patience.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:51 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
Even though I represent a different brand of calls, The ones you recommended are excellent.

[/ QUOTE ]

My first call was a Lohman. I thought it didn't work but that was when I had just begun looking for coyotes. I have since lost it and bought the Sceerys at the advice of a customer at the store where I worked. I'm sure now that I have a better idea of what I'm doing it would have worked fine if I had done my part.

Thanks for the heads up on the other web site. I have visited other hunting forums and was unsatisfied with them compared with the quality of this one so I didn't stay long. I will check into the one you offered and see what we can work out on my problem.

Feel free to throw a couple other links up for us. And don't worry 'bout Len, he's usually in tanzania snapping (some very nice) photos. And Dave and Ian are a bunch of softies. If the links are good they won't rat you out. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-30-2005, 08:07 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
does the Crow figure move? I'd like to see that in action.

[/ QUOTE ]

The crow is about a 3/4 scale in size and is just a cheap, blow molded, shell. It has a spike molded where the legs should be. I just pick a spot that can be seen from a decent distance so if a coyote comes sneaking in to check things out they will see it and come in more. The rabbit is just tossed on the ground near the crow as the cherry on top.

The yote that came in to this setup had to squeeze through a fence to get to me. He looked at me and the setup as he did so. I was unable to shoot at this time for fear of damaging the farmers equipment near by. As the coyote approached the decoys he figured out something was wrong. The coyotes body language said "Hmmm? Mr. Crow ain't moving. Mr. Rabbit don't smell. And that thing with the tube keeps lookin' at me. SEE YA'!" And with that I squeezed and he ran and I squeezed again. The tail went up and the flame came out. Landing gear up and woosh, he was gone.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:22 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
How far between locations should I travel when calling if there is no wind?

[/ QUOTE ]

What I have been told even though I don't always do it is to move at least a mile for each set. And move upwind whenever you can. (watch your downwind side mostly since they will come in from way out to catch your secnt).

When talking with coyotes on a howler keep in mind that they can hear you farther than you can hear them. This leads me to think that when calling this way I should move twice as far as the responding coyotes seem to be. This will change depending on how hard the wind is blowing and wheather the responders were upwind or down wind.

But that is just a theory built on a notion.