Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Coyote hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2005, 10:32 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Coyote hunting

4kedHorn. Even though I represent a different brand of calls, The ones you recommended are excellent.

There are as many opinions on how to call Coyotes as there are Coyotes. I tend to call very loud and very often. Many of my friends are just the opposite. feel free to contact me any time.

There are many Coyote boards on line were you can pick up information from the top callers in the world. We all do it a little different, Just like pro fisherman. I don't know if I can post links here. If not I am sorry Len, But the best site is www.huntmasterbbs.com. This is were the dedicated,hard core callers hang out. You will find many opinions here, but they are all good. I go by varmit hunter on that site.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:44 AM
Gold Member

FoxPro [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] ,set up 50 to 75 yds away from your position.
http://www.gofoxpro.com/main.htm
Old 11-30-2005, 10:46 AM
Gold Member

[ QUOTE ]
I also have started using a crow decoy (actually a plastic crow we bought for Halloween for a buck) and a stuffed rabbit skin (but any rabbit sized tan or grey stuffed animal will do) posed together. The idea is that when the yote sees the crow snackin on a rabbit he will come in to take it. That technique put my shotgun about 12 - 15 feet from the last dog I called in.

[/ QUOTE ]

does the Crow figure move? I'd like to see that in action. We have had the past bunch of years being a drought in Northern Nevada. So as the bird and rabbit population went down so did the preditors. 2005 has about doubled in annual rain fall. So i hope the cycle is on the up swing. I've got the remote electronic loud speakers with adjustable volume. I was going to ask you how high should the volume be?

I was driving to work this morning and saw a yote out in the middle of 120 acre pasture mousing. I need to get out this Sat. and try my luck.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:18 AM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
There are as many opinions on how to call Coyotes as there are Coyotes. I tend to call very loud and very often.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been a coyote calling addict for more than 30 years. I too call loud and fairly frequently. I have tried just about everything, and I have had the pleasure to hunt with some pretty decent callers, including guys who absolutely rule at the contests in Wyoming, gov. trappers, contractors for predator control boards, etc. I do pretty well myself, right until I run up against a call shy dawg that someone called in, shot at, and missed, lol.

I don't know about Texas, but in Wyoming the spaces are huge. Guys who win the contests don't mess around with decoys, and most of them do not use electronic callers. They blow a mouth call with a passion, recognize a good spot when they see it, and they sit down frequently for no more than 20 minutes per spot. High desert techniques like we use here might not work in Texas so take this for what it's worth.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:18 PM
Bronze Member

This is what I am talking about. Some guys take the time to set up a virtual zoo of decoys mainly so thy can get great video. The contest caller wants to travel light and fast. They also site in for long range so they can drop them when they see them. These are the guys with the 25-06's and 6mm AI's. Have seen contest callers make head shots at 500 plus yards.

I used to be a dedicated horn hunter. Now all I wont to do is shoot hogs at long range(out to 1K), and call Coyotes. Don't have to wait for permit draws, don't wear out a truck every two years chasing horns across four states. Give Coyotes a try in the off season. They are with out a doubt the most challenging animal I have ever hunted. kill one out of a pack and then go back. The rest of the pack will make a 160 class buck look suicidal.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:24 PM
Platinum Member

I've also been hunting coyotes for a # of years, and for the last 20 or so killed 40-70/season calling mostly. These days i've gotten away from calling, and into spot and stalk. Some of the areas i've hunted in the past that got a lot of pressure r much easier to hunt by spot and stalk. I also howl a lot for locating dogs mainly, but beware of that system, since dogs will react to it, and come in, generally slower than distress calls. Had an article once in Trapper and Predator Caller called "Finessing Coyotes", that detailed some of the methods i used to hunt. If u want send me a PM, and i'll copy it and send it to u. I've had a # of articles in T+PC that i'll send u if u want.

1 thing i'd suggest u do if you're going out on an all-dayer, is to get one of the soft-sided stadium seats that r common at Wal/K-Mart. Reinforce it with some extra closed-cell foam, cover it in burlap, and it's ready to go-- makes a long day calling out on the prairie a little less tiring, besides the fact that when tightened with the side straps, helps steady yourself for a long shot.

Always remember that howling is the ace-in-the-hole. So learn how to do it quick. Predator hunting is at an all-time high these days, and there r a lot of call-shy dogs running around out there, and learning to speak their language helps immensely.

For how-to videos i'd suggest Randy Anderson's series. For fur handling try Blaine Eddy's video "Hunting and Skinning for Profit". All this info, and other resources r easy to come by @ www.predatormasters.com
Old 11-30-2005, 03:27 PM
Silver Member

sewwhat89,

If you are considering ordering anything from ELK.Inc, do yourself a BIG favor. Order the Yotebuster. I have used it with success in Eastern Montana, Nodak and Northern Wisconsin. It is a very versatile call.

I would suggest learning mouth calls vs electronics. Especially a howler. It may take you a while to learn your first howler, but after you master the first one and learn the calls, you can pick up just about any call and do a good job.

Good Luck.

Jim