Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Coyote hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2005, 11:29 PM
Gold Member

Coyote hunting

Can anyone recommend a coyote call, calling method or other varmint call? I have several loads for my .22-250, a deer lease loaded with coyotes, crows, rabbits and some bobcats, but I havn't the foggiest how to call in the yotes.

Would electric calls be the way to go since I have nothing or what do you suggest?
Old 11-29-2005, 11:43 PM
Silver Member

Re: Coyote hunting

I've got howlers, rabbit calls, fawn bleats....everything; but I killed more coyotes this year turkey hunting than ever before. It didn't take long to realize why the turkeys were lock jawed because every time I tried to call in a Tom the coyotes came runnin'. Not exactly long range but an x-tra full choked, 3 1/2in. 12 gauge #5 shot is quite impressive up close! I prefer Primos calls; and they have some great coyote hunting DVD's to learn from.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:44 AM
Gold Member

I'm an old time Oregon man. Lots of just the road hunter of America. Driving and see them out. I've done the remote callers and mouth callers sitting in the snow in parkas. I've chummed them in with hanging Jack rabbits in the Juniper trees night hunting with IR scopes and Star light.

The wounded rabbit might be the best. I really believe that the driving around and you just see them. Here in Nevada you have lots of rabbits just run over on the out back highways. The dogs come in to feed. Just two week ago I drove up to Idaho and took my 270AI. Middle of the afternoon the dog ran across the road and I hit the skids and hopped out. Typical dog thinks that they are safe 2-300 yards out and is wondering why you stopped. Thats when I popped the Harris bypod legs out and gave it my very best[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-30-2005, 02:38 AM
Platinum Member

I can recommend these products for killin yotes.

This coyote howler is the easiest to use and the smoothest sounding howler I have owned. The bands are replaceable and the call body is spray paintable to make it match your camo colors.

On this page Scroll down until you find the model AP-2 and AP-3 cottontail and jackrabbit in distress calls. I really like the shape of the mouthpiece and the ability to replace the reeds as the need arises. The reeds are available from the manufacturer. Sorry I couldn't find a homepage for this company but their contact info is on the package. BTW his big trumpet like howler is the worst I have used.

I got an electronic call last year and haven't given it a much of a try so I won't comment on that but I will say that if you use the calls above at the right time and the right way and keep a good watch on your technique you will see more dogs than just driving around. And you will have some of them come into kissin'distance if you are real lucky.

Keep an eye out for other predators as well. Bears and mtn lions will come into the rabbit calls as well.

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't the foggiest how to call in the yotes.

[/ QUOTE ]

The howler is most handy during the highly territorial breeding season (mid winter) and when the pups are old enough to venture out of the dens and get their butt kicked by a coyote from another team (Late may and June).

I have found the rabbit calls work best on foggy mornings after a few days of rain with no moon. That is when they are the hungriest. It will work anytime though. Give the call a chance to work. 15 minutes in a spot should do but if it is a good spot that has produced before you may want to give it 20 minutes or so. Don't over blow the call duration wise. Give it a good 30 seconds and then wait for 5 minutes. If the yotes are there they heard it. They just need time for their curiosity to work. Sometimes its 5 seconds and sometimes its 10 minutes. You almost can't over blow the call volume wise. You are not imitating a rabbit with a hangover. You ARE imitating a rabbit that is being peeled alive. Small lungs screaming for all they are worth.

I also have started using a crow decoy (actually a plastic crow we bought for Halloween for a buck) and a stuffed rabbit skin (but any rabbit sized tan or grey stuffed animal will do) posed together. The idea is that when the yote sees the crow snackin on a rabbit he will come in to take it. That technique put my shotgun about 12 - 15 feet from the last dog I called in.

Hope that is some of the info you are looking for. Let me know if you have questions.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:32 AM
Bronze Member

Stephen. I have been a professional predator caller for the last twenty years. Have been calling for 46 years. Have done several TV shows, and on the CD "World Champions"

I think you live close to me. Drop me a private E-Mail at the address below. Maybe I can fix you up with some calls(Free), and hopefully shorten you're learning curve. Warning this can turn into a life long addiction.

Ronnie Robison Lohman Gold Staff.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:04 AM
Platinum Member

Long Action. I have been an unprofessional caller for a few years and I was wondering if I could pick your brain as I have a few spots to hunt coyotes that are loaded with coyotes but they are resistant to coming in?

Also if you see anything I typed above that is not quite right PLEASE let me know. I gave a good honest answer as I have learned and experienced but I always have room to learn.

Man, you should have said something earlier. I have some questions for you. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-30-2005, 10:26 AM
Silver Member

4ked,

If you ever need somebody to go with you yote hunting, I'd gladly join you. I have only been out 2 times and have yet to kill a dog.

Sean