Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Couple new rigs from APS....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2008, 08:17 PM
Silver Member

Re: Couple new rigs from APS....

Kirby, very nice. I may just have to have my custom pistol from you built in the 6.5 WSM instead of the 7mm WSM. Ken
Old 10-29-2008, 08:17 PM
Platinum Member

Nice guns.

Question? How long does it take to receive an ABS barrel from the time of order until the time of receipt?
Old 10-29-2008, 09:33 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Joecool,

Just need to get a floorplate for your mag box and your rifle is done. It will be in your hands very soon my friend!!!!

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 10-29-2008, 09:39 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Long450,

The 6.5mm WSM is a great chambering for medium to big game in both rifle and handgun. Its best as a big game chambering where shooting volume will be somewhat limited moreso then a target, comp or varmint chambering. This is simply because of barrel life.

The 7mm WSM is another great choice for an XP. The larger bore will allow more velocity with same bullet weights or same velocity with slightly heavier bullet weights.

Ballistically, would be hard to tell one from another but I would think that with the 180 gr VLD in the 7mm, it would have a slight edge in ballistic performance at longer ranges. Still, the heavier bullet produces more recoil which is really of no concern with the muzzle brakes we use on these handcannons so do not let that stop you.

Simply put, if you want a bit more barrel life and perhaps a bit more terminal performance on larger game, the 7mm WSM would be a better choice but its suprising how impressive the 6.5mm version is.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 10-29-2008, 09:44 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Phorwath,

To be honest, I can not remember how long it took. I believe it was around a year. This project has taken a LONG time to get done. There was one set back after another with componants, I think we are going on 20 months now. My customer has shown exceptional patients when in many cases I would have expected most to bail. He did not and I greatly appreciate that. In the end, I believe he will be very happy with this precision rifle but its been a long hard road for both of us but we hung in there. Now we are seeing the results!!!

Personally, I do not recommend ABS barrels. They generally shoot extremely well. I have only had a couple that had accuracy issues. The problem is getting one in shop and cost. Personally, I do not feel they are worth the huge increase in price compared to an all steel barrel.

I will not refuse to work with an ABS barrel simply because I know they shoot, I just tell my customers if they want one, they need to call ABS and order the barrel as I just do not have the time to deal with them......

Allen Precision Shooting

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 10-29-2008, 11:35 PM
SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCKev View Post
Kirby that's some sharp looking rigs but being a XP guy who's getting that XP.Kevin

I Know, I Know, I Know

But it is not mine:(

But I should get to shoot it at some point...Got you curious now Kev???

SEB Coaxial Front Rest - Dealer
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...t-by-sam-hall/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCsyjQr0Yrc

"Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh no.........they're awake!""
Old 10-29-2008, 11:37 PM
SPONSOR

Beautiful Work Kirby!

SEB Coaxial Front Rest - Dealer
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...t-by-sam-hall/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCsyjQr0Yrc

"Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh no.........they're awake!""