Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

coues deer gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2009, 11:30 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
Re: coues deer gun

Oh it can be done. Just not as easily or with as much forgivness.

I would start with a short action for two reasons. 1: it is easier to make a lighter rifle and 2: smaller cartridges work better for lighter rifles than big cartridges.

Look hard at the 308 or 708 with no more than 24" barrels for a lighter rifle. Longer really needs to be heavier for ridgidity. A good barrel at 24" in a modest weight on a short action with an HTG stock would get you around 8# with a light weight scope. I have shot the old remmy 788's in 308 out to 800 yards with excellent accuracy. Even 22" would get the job done. The lighter the rifle the more ridged you need the barrel to be. You will accomplish this with a shorter barrel. Problem is that in 308 type calibers, you loose too much precious velocity for 800-1000 yard shooting. It will limit you in your bullet selection as only a handfull of bullets will make it to 1000 yards supersonic at the lower speeds. The 155 PALMA or 175 SMK will handle this task with ease. So will the 190's. These wont expand at long range at these velocities though. For p/dogs and paper it is of no concern. For coues deer, you will need a different bullet for those ranges.

My answer to this is. The only reason is to make the 7 RM look good. There is no other reason.

Jeff.
Old 01-30-2009, 08:32 AM
Platinum Member

Something you may want to consider is a Hornady bullet when building a lighter rifle. The A-Max is an excellent bullet, for accuracy and expansion. The 7mm-08 would be a good caliber, but another to consider would be the Rem. 260 (6.5mm-08). Great bullet selection and velocity that you need. Another would be looking into the Winchester Short Magnums or the Remingtion Short Action Ultra Magnums. Ruger has a new short mag that is showing promise. These will get you the velocities you are looking to get for long range and keep the action light. The 6.5mm-284 would be a good caliber for this application also. Just my .02!

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 01-30-2009, 12:11 PM
Bronze Member

Your 25-06 you have now would be good on coues out to 800 (maybe a little more or less depending on how hard you push them), with 115 gr. bullets. Nosler ballistic tips or Berger VLDs are a few good .257 bullets that I have used and would recommend.

Concerning rifle weight, you can always pick up an Eberlestock pack or any other pack that has a built in gun scabbard. This makes a heavy rifle 12 - 16 lb easier to haul around.
Old 01-30-2009, 09:17 PM
Platinum Member

600 and 650 yards is already a long ways for a target as small as a coues. shoot the ones you have at the distance you want and see. a krieger barrel on a 6.5 ,7mm , or 300 would be my choice.
Old 02-01-2009, 07:52 AM
Platinum Member

I have been hunting Coues in Az since '83. I used to be a walk around hunter hoping to kick out a buck to be shot. Now days I find a good vantage point and sit for the entire morning or evening and glass with 15 x 60s on a tripod.

If you are a glassing type hunter why sweat the weight of the rifle? A moderate hike to the sitting area is all that is needed.

I have been on a quest for THE coues rifle too. I used the 284 win and the 7 Rem mag with a 120 nos bt in the early days. Then I learned about higher BC bullets and turrets. It changed everything.

As time went on my shooting partner and I have evolved. Hyper velocity is not needed, a steady consistent shot to shot outcome is the way to go. I agree with much of what was said pertaining to the 308 or 300 WSM. BUT I'd be inclined to go with a 7 WSM or similar.
Great link on 7 mms for long range here: 7mm Cartridge Guide

I am in the process of building, of all things, a 30" 7 rem mag twisted and throated for the 180 Berger VLD. It is not going to be a barn burner and recoil should be relatively light in a 12 lb
rifle.

After all the above ranting....I also like what Kirby said. I do have a 300 RUM and 7 STW and have had a 7 RUM. All are VERY impressive in their performances. I am certain I'll again build a 7 RUM in a heavy package but with a custom chamber and a much longer barrel than the 26" sendaro I had. FYI my shooting friend is building a 7 STW with same configuration as my 7 rem mag....30" barrel twisted for the 180 VLD etc. We will learn plenty when we compare these two rifles.

This is THE site to glean all sorts of knowledge. Best search feature I have used. I did some research on which picatinny rail and rings. Man that was great! So do some searching here and read threads going back several years. Many questions will be answered and undoubtedly it will foster new ones.

Are you an Az resident? Where are you?
Old 02-01-2009, 11:35 AM

az

i live in prescott. you are rite about all the information on this site. im just trying to get a feel for what i want to do. like i said before, i mostly hunt archery, but i am interested in long range rifles. i went out pig hunting a couple of weeks ago with a guy from this site. funny thing was, i didnt know he was into this. i didnt even know of this site untill after we went. so i called him up and talked with him about lr rifles. i think hes gonna help me come up with something.

anyways, this year i killed a 106, and a few years back i shot a cool 104 inch buck with a double main beam. i love these deer, and it seems like everyone that hunts them get atachted to them fast. they are alot of fun
Old 02-01-2009, 03:15 PM
Platinum Member

Racin,

Those sure sound like some nice deer!

I forgot to mention I have a SS 28" 3 groove fluted #5 lilja chambered to 257 weatherby. Has a McMillan stock in an old M77 and sports a 4.5-14 x 40 AO with M1 turret. It shoots the moly'ed 115 berger very accurately at 3600 fps .

This year I passed up on all bucks this season after seeing a monster, the second morning, which was unshootable when sighted. I stayed in the vicinity but never saw him again. Last year this 257 was used to hit a nice buck at 525 yds. The VLD worked excellently going in behind the shoulder with an exit through the elbow of the offside shoulder.

Why make a 7 mm to shoot 180 VLDs? Looking for even higher BC than that 115. What can I say? I guess I should fess up, I am addicted to this rifle stuff. Always looking forward at the next package.