Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Cost of rebarreling and truing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2011, 02:56 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Cost of rebarreling and truing

Most custom actions don't need to be trued due to the tight tolerances and quality control they exercise during manufacture of their customs.

Actions on mass produced factory rifles are not held to these same tolerances. Otherwise the factory actions would cost just about as much as the customs.

Ask your gunsmith if he's winning competition shoots using off-the-shelf Rem 700 actions - no matter what kind of a barrel he screws into them.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:16 PM
Silver Member

Welcome to owning a Savage.

Order the barrel in the caliber you wish, use existing or change the bolthead on your bolt, loosen the barrel nut, unscrew the barrel, tighten the new barrel on your GO GAUGE, tighten barrel nut down, and go shooting. Just a barrel change - takes about 15 minutes.

The Savage/Stevens actions enjoy a floating bolt head.

I have trued one Savage action thus far - had a burr on the face of the action from the threads. I do check every Savage/Stevens action on a surface plate.

Even though the boltheads do float, I still lap the lugs to give as close to contact on the lugs as possible.
Old 07-23-2011, 05:11 PM
Platinum Member

Judging by the quality of my Remington 700, too much attention is paid to slick appearance than function where it counts. There is virtually no contact on 1 bolt lug, the bolt face makes an imprint on 1 side only, the trigger was a piece of crap, action bedded ? Hah ! But the blueing is beautiful and the stock is nicely finished.

So far it is about a 2MOA gun. I shoot better groups more consistently with my 7.62x39 AR 15 shooting 1970's Yugoslavian FMJ ammo. I have fitted a Shilen 2lb trigger. I tried adjusting the original trigger but the with the new spring rates it could not be brought below 3.5lb safely. The Shilen works out of the box and was about the least expensive option.

I have deburred the Magnaport muzzle break. Today after the most recent range trip, I am looking at getting the stock prepared for bedding. I have never done it before, but contact between the stock and action is so random (except for the "pad" on the fore end) as to be bizarre.

The fit of the cartridge in the chamber seems sloppy. The very back of the chamber apparently makes no contact whatsoever with the cartridge. Twice reloaded brass (neck sized) one can see where the expansion of the cartridge into the chamber ends and it is about 1/3 of an inch from the base of the cartridge.

I'm in 2 minds regarding how much to put into this thing. It is easy to say that one can re-barrel and true a Remington for less than a Savage and the writer who said that does a very good job according to the video. However, this argument ignores the fact that one has already paid a pretty decent amount for the Remington to begin with. In my case $700 for the long action rifle with a few bullets down the barrel in 8mm Mauser. It looked brand new. Add about $150 for the trigger, so already at $850.

Now lets add $640 for the trueing. So we are at $1490. Now add the cost of a barrel $325 (Lija) that takes us to $1815. We still have not added a stock. Stocks can run $350 to $950 and more. So this takes us seriously into $2500+ territory.

At the end, one should have an accurate firearm, if everything comes together and you have a smith who knows what he is doing. But I would say that one would never recover the investment, since most people would say it looks like a Remington 700. I think in this case, selling the Remington for $700 and making a small loss, so that one can start fresh and build a custom gun (or buy a custom would provide more opportunity to resell it for a better price later. No everything is about money, but I like the moral that when in a hole, stop digging....

Its a nice looking gun, but the typical FAL would be equally accurate and much more versatile.

Last edited by westcliffe01; 07-23-2011 at 07:58 PM.
Old 07-23-2011, 05:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcliffe01 View Post
Now lets add $640 for the trueing.
The actual cost of truing the Remington 700 action per Kevin Cram's price quote is $175 not $640.

ADDED:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Custom

There are no free rides to accuracy.

J E CUSTOM

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:16 PM
Platinum Member

If you read his quote and work, like I did, with the assumption that one is re-barreling, then all the other items are either needed or make very good sense indeed to to at the same time that one would re-barrel and re-stock. Would you re-barrel without re-chambering? Would you install a new stock without re-bedding ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEENIX View Post
The actual cost of truing the Remington 700 action per Kevin Cram's price quote is $175 not $640.

ADDED:
Old 07-23-2011, 10:34 PM
SPONSOR

westcliffe01 and feenix you are both correct. The actual fee I charge to fully blueprint a Remington action is $175. This includes double indicating the action true to its centerline to within .0002" or less or concentricity. I then machine the face of the receiver just enough for 100% clean up. I then face the internal locking lugs just enough so there is 100% clean up. I then bore the tops of the threads just enough so there is 100% clean up. I'll then single point chase the existing threads just enough so there is 100% clean up. Typically I've found the the face and locking lugs to clean up in .002" - .005" The threads are what are normally the worst. Some have taken as little as .005" for a full clean up, others have taken up to .040" I then dial in the bolt and remove just enough material from the back side of the lugs and the bolt face for a 100% clean up. This plus a few other secret tweaks. All this and my fee is $175. Now I don't fully blueprint an action that is not going to have a new barrel blank installed. So westcliffe01 is correct in saying that
Quote:
all the other items are either needed or make very good sense indeed to at the same time that one would re-barrel and re-stock
When I'm figuring out a price for a custom build and the customer is deciding on a Remington action or custom my first question is do you already own a Remington? If you already have a rifle that's been paid for and you've gotten some use out of it then stick with the Remington. If you have to go out and purchase a complete Remington rifle just for the action then you run into splitting hairs on cost of Remington vs Custom. Best advice I can give is go over every aspect and detail of the build with the smith prior and you'll find out the best way to go.

www.mcrifles.com
Old 07-23-2011, 10:58 PM
Platinum Member

Kevin, I think you will agree that when re-barelling and replacing the stock, one is junking a substantial part of the rifle. The market for factory barrels and stocks is pretty bad. However, if the rifle is sold as a complete functional unit, one is able to recover whatever the market price happens to be.

If one has a particular affinity for that particular action and is prepared to take the financial hit with junking the barrel and stock, that is a different matter altogether. What I was saying in a nutshell is that it seldom makes financial sence. People do things for all sorts of reasons, but from my experience, building a precision rifle from a remington with a factory stock and trigger is not the least difficult way of doing things and requires a very good smith if it is to be successful, whereas starting with the Savage action, there is more work that one can do yourself, with less risk of a bad outcome at the end. This can save time, money, nerves, hairline, marriage etc etc. If my wife knew how much I spent on the last 2 rifles, neither of which worked a damn out of the box and which I have slowly been improving, I would be in deep doo doo...

I this evening found this video on Youtube while researching bedding the action.
It is a familiar story, only worse in his case since he has the truly crappy plastic stock... Watch the video of the impact point shifting as the action moves in the stock..