Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Coriolis Effect Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2010, 01:37 AM
Gold Member

Coriolis Effect Questions

I was trying to figure out the specifics on Coriolis Effect and keep finding conflicting information. I remember seeing an old thread in here where someone was wondering why their POI was off and it was determined that it was due to Coriolis Effect. I can't find that thread, and was pretty hard to follow because there was a lot of conflicting information in there also.

So I was wondering if someone could provide a simple explanation and answer a few questions.

(I use "drift" because I don't know a better word to use.)

1.) A bullet will drift to the right in the northern hemisphere and drift left in the southern hemisphere, no matter what direction the shot is directed. Correct?

2.) Assuming the above is correct, is the strength of drift equal shooting in all directions?

3.) POI height; drifts low shooting West, high East?

4.) There is less Coriolis Effect at the equator than there is at the polls. Is that true for both the right/left drift and the POI height?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to understand the Coriolis Effect better.
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."-- Samuel Adams
Old 07-10-2010, 02:16 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Coriolis Effect Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by justgoto View Post
I was trying to figure out the specifics on Coriolis Effect and keep finding conflicting information. I remember seeing an old thread in here where someone was wondering why their POI was off and it was determined that it was due to Coriolis Effect. I can't find that thread, and was pretty hard to follow because there was a lot of conflicting information in there also.

So I was wondering if someone could provide a simple explanation and answer a few questions.

(I use "drift" because I don't know a better word to use.)

1.) A bullet will drift to the right in the northern hemisphere and drift left in the southern hemisphere, no matter what direction the shot is directed. Correct? Correct.

2.) Assuming the above is correct, is the strength of drift equal shooting in all directions? The magnitude of horizontal drift is equal in all directions for a given Latitude.

3.) POI height; drifts low shooting West, high East? Correct.

4.) There is less Coriolis Effect at the equator than there is at the polls. Is that true for both the right/left drift and the POI height? Yes for horizontal (right/left) drift. No for vertical drift. Vertical deflection from Coriolis is maximum at the equator, null at the two poles.

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to understand the Coriolis Effect better.
Check out this Thread, starting at about post #84:
Help Needed with LB3.0 and .338 Bergers

Last edited by phorwath; 08-02-2010 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Correction in response to item 4.) Edit is underlined.
Old 07-10-2010, 02:46 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorwath View Post

I found an informative post here also.

Rotation of the Earth stuff:
On all bearings of fire a 0.1mil left correction is required (ie 20cm at this range).
Easterly fire requires an elevation reduction equivalent to the target being 13 metres closer.
Westerly fire requires an elevation increase equivalent to the target being 13 metres further away.
(in both cases this value gradually reduces to zero as the bearing moves to due N or S.)

Bet that's surprised a few people!

Thanks!
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."-- Samuel Adams
Old 07-10-2010, 04:24 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorwath View Post
Quote:
4.) There is less Coriolis Effect at the equator than there is at the polls. Is that true for both the right/left drift and the POI height? Yes. In fact there is basically no right/left drift at the equator. Basically no vertical drift at the equator either - at least out to a 3000 yd distance.
From the site

Spin and Coriolis Drift

I copied the following statement:

Quote:
The vertical component is at a maximum at the equator, and goes to zero at the poles.
I wouldn't be surprised if I'm miss understanding something!

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 07-10-2010, 09:22 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglet View Post
From the site

Spin and Coriolis Drift

I copied the following statement:

Quote:
The vertical component of Coriolis is at a maximum at the equator, and goes to zero at the poles.

I wouldn't be surprised if I'm miss understanding something!
Eaglet,
Between the time I posted my original reply (7/10/10) and today, August 22, 2010, I've spent hours researching this. I have concluded that the vertical deflection caused by Coriolis force is indeed at a maximum value at the equator, and null at both poles. This is also how Patagonia Ballistics LoadBase 3.0 Desktop software currently models vertical deflection due to Coriolis force. Your post/statement was, and currently is, correct - to the best of my knowledge, understanding, and belief.

With this edit, I have deleted my original response as an effort to minimize confusion, and to provide correct information.

Last edited by phorwath; 08-02-2010 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Remove errant information and provided correct information on vertical deflection caused by Coriolos force.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:34 PM
Gold Member

Cost too damn much to travel to the equator and the Poles to shoot so I guess I'll just keep me Irish hinney here and burn up in North Louisiana!!
Old 07-12-2010, 01:25 PM
Silver Member

Honest question: at what distance does all of this become material?