Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

copper killer ?? ??? ??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2009, 06:33 PM
Silver Member

copper killer ?? ??? ??

Bought a bottle of Montana Extreme Copper Killer. After getting home I notice just below the name are the words "50 BMG special formula". Is this suitable for my 270?
Old 08-03-2009, 08:09 PM
Platinum Member

Re: copper killer ?? ??? ??

I use it on my rifles (.243/7Mag/.300WM) and it doesn't hurt them. I do not leave it in the barrel for any length of time though. It is strong stuff. Do not take a big whiff of it - it will take your breathe away.
After using it on my 700P (chrome moly) barrel and I know I'm not gonna shoot it for a few days, I run a saturated oil patch (Kroil/Marvels Mystery oil) through it and then dry patch that out. I usually clean just prior to shooting.
I have been using Copper Killer for about 2 yrs now and have noticied no decline in barrel life or accuracy. It will get the copper out.
I also use another of their products; Bore Solvent and it gets carbon and powder residue out great. After about 3 wet patches, with 1 dry patch after each of those, I don't have alot of anything in the barrel. So then when I hit it with the Copper Killer I don't see alot of copper residue on the patches. JohnnyK.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:07 AM
Platinum Member

I highly recomend Bore Tech Eliminator and Wipeout. These products are better copper removers than Montana Extreme and will not hurt the barrel no matter how long you leave them in the barrel. Any amonia based cleaner can be harmful to the barrel.

I use Bore Tech at the range for quick cleaning and Wipeout at home for overnight soakings. Do not use brass jags with Bore Tech. It will eat the brass jags and give you a false copper indication. Use a nickel platted or plastic jag.

-MR
Old 08-04-2009, 08:46 AM
Platinum Member

Not sure but I think you need a different barrel solvent/cleaner for each calibre.

NRA Life Member
Old 08-04-2009, 10:31 AM

We use 2 of KG Industries products named KG-1 Carbon Cleaner and KG-12 Copper Remover in conjunction with Kano Laboratories Kroil Penetrating Oil. We liberally dose the bore after a range session and while still at the range with Kroil and let it soak until we are ready to clean the weapon.

KG-12 is water not ammonia based and won't etch the bore, and removes copper like nothing we've ever used before.