Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Controlling Recoil from the bench?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2012, 04:03 PM

Controlling Recoil from the bench?

I have heard many people say that when you shoot a rifle from the bench it should recoil straight back and not have the muzzle "jump". I find that this is true when I shoot heavy or small bore rifles such as a .243. But when I shoot my 7mm rem mag with a pencil thin barrel the barrel of the rifle almost always jumps in the air. Is the rifle supposed to come straight back or is this just taboo? Thanks for clearing this up.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:27 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Controlling Recoil from the bench?

It's not taboo. It's just gonna happen. The rifle would come straight back if your shoulder wasn't there for the butt of the gun to hit. When the bitt of the gun hits your shoulder, some of the force is absorbed into your body but the force of the recoil still affects the gun. The force of the gun hitting your shoulder will have to make the gun go somewhere because there is always and equal and opposite reaction. The force of the recoil will make the gun go in the path of least resistance. It gets stopped by your shoulder, it can't go down because of the bench so it will go up and depending on your grip on the gun, it will go up and to the left or right. The heavier the gun, the less it will move of course.

If I am shooting a really light gun with a lot of recoil, I will have my hand on the grip and pull the rifle straight back into my shoulder. I don't death grip it but I dO have enough pressure on it to make sure that the gun is good and snug in my shoulder. Make sure you are pulling back straight too. I will have my other hand apply slight tension on the forenend to hold the gun down so that it doesn't "jump" when I shoot. I don't death grip it and also make sure that you are not applying too much pressure on the fore end as to make it cant or be pushed to on side. Others may have a better solution but that is how I do it.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:34 AM
Gold Member

Re: Controlling Recoil from the bench?

The amount of rise in the barrel when your rifle is fired is also dependant on the cut of the rifle stock. The straighter the stock is cut the less muzzle rise you'll get. And in the opposite case, the more drop at cheek or comb a stock has the more the barrel will rise. The barrel rising takes up some of the force of the recoil so the less felt recoil you'll experience on your shoulder. It's just a matter of finding a stock that fits you correctly.