close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Reply

consistency trouble

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Unread 01-24-2013, 10:43 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 5
consistency trouble

I shoot a t/c icon precision hunter in .308 and use hornady match 178 bthp. The gun shoots 1/2 moa groups 24/7. My problem is that these groups are perfect zero at 200 one day and 2 minutes hot the next! Windage stays the same. So far its allways 2 minutes. Scope is mounted with tactical rings, locktited and tourqed to specs. Is it my shooting skills? Or is it my Vortex PST ?Maybe the ammo? Any help would be appreciated
Reply With Quote
  •   #2  
    Unread 01-25-2013, 05:07 AM
    Official LRH Sponsor
     
    Join Date: Feb 2011
    Location: N. Texas and S. Africa
    Posts: 7,656
    Re: consistency trouble

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by t/c fan 1 View Post
    I shoot a t/c icon precision hunter in .308 and use hornady match 178 bthp. The gun shoots 1/2 moa groups 24/7. My problem is that these groups are perfect zero at 200 one day and 2 minutes hot the next! Windage stays the same. So far its allways 2 minutes. Scope is mounted with tactical rings, locktited and tourqed to specs. Is it my shooting skills? Or is it my Vortex PST ?Maybe the ammo? Any help would be appreciated
    "2 minutes hot"?

    Try shooting it two days in a row or twice a couple of hours apart under similar conditions without any adjustment and see what happens.
    __________________
    Without the First and Second Amendments the rest of The Constitution is Meaningless.
    Reply With Quote

      #3  
    Unread 01-25-2013, 10:09 AM
    Junior Member
     
    Join Date: May 2011
    Posts: 5
    Re: consistency trouble

    Re zeroed two trips ago. Yesterday was two minutes hot but i thought the same as you and did not click at all. Wont be back to the range till next week and thats killing me. Will post the results immediately though. thanks for the reply,
    t/c fan 1
    Reply With Quote
      #4  
    Unread 01-25-2013, 12:05 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Apr 2012
    Location: The cold part of Montana
    Posts: 1,391
    Re: consistency trouble

    what exactly does 2minutes hot mean? 2moa high? If that's it I would believe the issue is in your bedding/ action to stock fit, stock is moving ect.
    __________________
    Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

    Joe
    Reply With Quote
      #5  
    Unread 01-25-2013, 04:42 PM
    Official LRH Sponsor
     
    Join Date: Feb 2011
    Location: N. Texas and S. Africa
    Posts: 7,656
    Re: consistency trouble

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe King View Post
    what exactly does 2minutes hot mean? 2moa high? If that's it I would believe the issue is in your bedding/ action to stock fit, stock is moving ect.
    Same here which is why I'm hoping he'll clarify. I'm guessing he means 2 min high.

    I've never taken a TC apart so I have no clue about bedding one.
    __________________
    Without the First and Second Amendments the rest of The Constitution is Meaningless.
    Reply With Quote
      #6  
    Unread 01-25-2013, 08:15 PM
    Junior Member
     
    Join Date: May 2011
    Posts: 5
    Re: consistency trouble

    Sorry... by 2 min. hot i mean 2 moa high.. ( 4'' high @ 200 yds. 8'' high @ 400 ect.) My icon has an alluminum bedding block inside the laminate stock. I torqued the three screws to 50 inch pounds.
    Reply With Quote
      #7  
    Unread 01-26-2013, 12:43 AM
    Official LRH Sponsor
     
    Join Date: Feb 2011
    Location: N. Texas and S. Africa
    Posts: 7,656
    Re: consistency trouble

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by t/c fan 1 View Post
    Sorry... by 2 min. hot i mean 2 moa high.. ( 4'' high @ 200 yds. 8'' high @ 400 ect.) My icon has an alluminum bedding block inside the laminate stock. I torqued the three screws to 50 inch pounds.
    I would bed the entire action and just below the chamber in front of the recoil lug and see if that doesn't eliminate the problem.

    This sounds like one way or another you have a stress issue where the action or barrel is heating up and pressing against something causing a vertical error.

    Is it completely free floated in front of the lug all the way out to the end of the forearm? If not that's probably where you will find the problem.

    An Aluminum bedding block HELPS, it does not however eliminate stress points unless it has been machined perfectly.
    __________________
    Without the First and Second Amendments the rest of The Constitution is Meaningless.
    Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Bookmarks

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes



    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:17 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
    All content ©2010-2015 Long Range Hunting, LLC