Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Condor killer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2013, 12:37 AM

Re: Condor killer

Another note 64grn Winchester Razorbacks did not stabilize in a 1:12 twist .223 . Another factory option that is CA legal . They just didn't shoot well in my gun.
Old 11-29-2013, 03:43 AM

I've worked up a load with 180 grain Etips in my Savage 300 win mag. Loaded touching the lands over 72.5 grains of Reloader 25 and Tula mag primers has netted me .25 moa at 100 yards. Need to take a day off and visit the longer range and work out the drops, but it looks like these will work for my cow elk hunt in January.
Old 11-30-2013, 08:19 PM

thanks for all the input, im surprised more people dont have long range nonlead rigs. barnes x has not responded to my inquiry yet, i have the feeling that im going to have to call them.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:17 PM
Platinum Member

You're going to have problems, in my opinion, with any monometal bullet and long range, say over 600 yards, no matter how fast they are going, or what the BC is. I just don't see them opening that well, but I'm going by the unlimited pics of monometal bullets that have been shot and opened up at various speeds. I'd wait until the last minute to worry about the whole state going lead free. You never know what new bullets are on the horizon.
Old 12-01-2013, 12:18 AM

Some of us live and hunt in the Condor Leadfree Corridor. So waiting isn't an option. . . I would love a host of bullets , that fill the bill so to speak , that are affordable, accurate and lead free. I feel that bullet makers are diligently working on those challenges.
Old 12-01-2013, 04:22 AM

ya I dont even hunt in the condor zone anymore because I am limited to a 300 yard shot. I havent hunted with my friends in central Ca since the lead ban began. I would love to check all my old spots in D13 and the san rafael wilderness with a long range weapon, If I could put something together that I felt confident out to 700 yds I would be happy. I just dont want to waste a bunch of money and time going in the wrong direction.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfseaman View Post
TTSX are working for me and my buddy. I HBN coat them.

He didn't like TSX, E-Tips or GMX for LR. I never bothered to try them.

My only 300 yard was a TSX. Nothing farther for me. Buddy has gone to 1000 with hust 300RUM and 180TTSX

Thats good to hear!!
Whats the load youre buddy is using for those 180 grn TTSX?