Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Concept Design LR Project

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2002, 07:15 AM
Silver Member

Re: Concept Design LR Project

Steve Shelp:

Thanks so much for the tip. I appreicated it.
Actually, I designed the stock to look like Lee Six but it didn't come out right. I don't have enough data on this. I designed it based on my eye to measure it and had one photo of Lee Six so it will not be accurate. Now I changed my mind about the stock from Lee Six to McMillan 50LBR or 50HBR stock. It will hold the big block just fine. I'll redesign it again. Thank God, I didn't send out all of my checks cuz it is free and you can design anything you want. I don't think I'm going to invent new stock. There are good stocks out there so I'll pick one of them.

I used to be AutoCAD operator for Tools and Molds company. As we both know, I didn't create enough details on the rifle. I could do that but these images are for showing them that it is a good idea to design first before you start shrinking your wallet(s).
Thanks again for your input.
-Denny
Old 01-17-2002, 09:41 AM
Silver Member

Re: Concept Design LR Project

Denny,
I have the McMillian 50HBR stock on my HG class rifle and have it all drawn up in ACAD R14 2D using projections if that would be any use to you. I laid it out with a block at one time and I think you could put a 3" or 3 1/4" wide vertical block in there if needed. Depending on what barrel diameter you use you probably won't need 3" though so you have plenty of meat to work with there. I have a 1.850" diamter barrel so it needed the extra width on the block. But have since decided against it's use. This season will hopefully tell me if that was the right decision or not. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Steve