Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Poll: To Compute or not to Compute
Poll Options
To Compute or not to Compute

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2013, 08:21 PM

What method(s) do you use in the field to compute ballistics solutions?

1. Computer-if so how much time does it usually take you to compute the solution?
2. Firing Table or drop chart
3. BDC
4. Velocity Reticle
5. Other
6. Two or more methods

I use both the computer and firing table.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:35 PM
Bronze Member

Re: To Compute or not to Compute

First option is my G7 BR2. Second I have my ballistic program on my phone so that I can ender data from my Kestrel 3500. Lastly I have a drop table taped to my stock as a back up.

Chris
Old 04-22-2013, 09:57 PM
Platinum Member

I've gotten to the point I use a Ballistic Turret out to 800 yards or so then I start using Applied Ballistics on my phone, the turret is so fast an accurate it's scared me a couple times when I realized how fast you can put something on the ground, better know what you want to kill before going into auto pilot death mode.
Punching in the data for the longer shots doesn't take me but a few seconds, most of the time is spent studying the wind and terrain.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:02 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
I've gotten to the point I use a Ballistic Turret out to 800 yards or so then I start using Applied Ballistics on my phone, the turret is so fast an accurate it's scared me a couple times when I realized how fast you can put something on the ground, better know what you want to kill before going into auto pilot death mode.
Punching in the data for the longer shots doesn't take me but a few seconds, most of the time is spent studying the wind and terrain.
Yep - same here.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
One more

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 04-22-2013, 11:09 PM
Silver Member

Quote:

And another. Where I hunt most shots have to be pretty quick out to 700 or 800.

Mike
Old 04-23-2013, 01:16 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subnormal View Post
What method(s) do you use in the field to compute ballistics solutions?

1. Computer-if so how much time does it usually take you to compute the solution?
2. Firing Table or drop chart
3. BDC
4. Velocity Reticle
5. Other
6. Two or more methods

I use both the computer and firing table.

Thanks for the reply.
Most of my shooting is done on coyotes, bobcats, hogs etc and in a hurry since we spot them as we're driving along at work and then have to shoot them on the run.

I use graduated reticles (IOR MP8, Vortex Viper PST MOA, Leupold Mil dot or TMR's ) to gauge lead, wind, speed, and to some extent range but usually the range is just a guess unless they happen to be near power lines or in a field I know the dimensions of.

When I do get to "hunt" from a blind, hide, or stalked into position I use drop charts that I have made with 50yd increments as well as rough wind markers more often than not.

Old farts like me can get away with the above pretty well just because of all the years and thousands of rounds of shooting we have behind us.

If I were starting out just as I encourage everyone I help get introduced to shooting if I had the money I'd invest in the best wind meters, ballistic calculators, and other equipment I could afford.

Modern shooting tech won't make a great shooter out of a novice, but it can certainly save you thousands and thousands of rounds vs learning it all the hard way.