Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Compressed air trapped in the hollow cavity of SMK ??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2004, 02:31 AM
Bronze Member

Compressed air trapped in the hollow cavity of SMK ??

During this deer season I saw heart-lung damage that seems impossible for the bullet itself to accomplish. I have a theory that is not yet well thought out that much of the damage might have been done by air compressed in the nose of the bullet and released as expansion began.

Am I completely out of left field? Of course, I do not have any idea the pressure the air is compressed to or the volume of air contained at whatever pressure is there. But.....A truck tire exploading somewhere before reaching 110 psi kills the maintance man. A SCUBA cylinder exploding somewhere before 3000 psi destroys a dive shop.
Old 01-30-2004, 06:51 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Compressed air trapped in the hollow cavity of SMK ??

I think it'd be an issue of available volume... Insignificant for the cavity inside a MK I'd guess.
Old 01-30-2004, 08:19 AM

What kind of damage are you talking about? Bullets do some very strange things when they hit game.
Old 01-30-2004, 08:31 AM
Platinum Member

yea, im with dave on ths one--dont think there is enough room there to save up much pressure.

you may have just taken a chunk of something (skin/bone) thru with the bullet causeing more damage or hit something before entering the animal (twig/grass)

JB
Old 01-30-2004, 09:32 AM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Probably what you are seeing is the damage caused by "temporary cavitation". There are 2 things a bullet causes as it passes through flesh, 1: a wound chanel, and 2: cavitation. What that basically is, is like a shock wave in the flesh as the bullet passes through. It can actually tear meat and tissue of of bones.

When a bullet causes a 1/2" wound channel, depending on the density of the aniaml and the energy of the bullet, it will cause a 6-16" wound area cause by this cavitation.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 01-30-2004, 09:46 AM
Silver Member

The lungs were probably filled with air, if so their going to popp like a ballon, causing lots of damage, same with the heart if you hit that when its under presure, the heart explodes and so does most of the blood vessels causing causing even the toughest animals to drop instantly.

Brian
Old 01-30-2004, 10:55 AM

I have also found that when the lung/heart are hit and turned into jello and the bullet exits there is a vacume effect and some of this jello gets sucked out. One deer I took this fall at 93y with a 140g SST 270 win sucked almost all the lungs out. The far side of the deer and snow were a mess. The explosive affect of some bullets can make a huge internal mess also.

[ 01-30-2004: Message edited by: Harv ]