Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Which Composite Stock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2012, 05:38 PM

Which Composite Stock

Ok folks, long time reader of the forum but first post.

I have a Remington 700 CDL Left Handed in 300 RUM. Aside from a trigger job and a muzzle brake, it's all stock. Sitting atop is a Leupold VX3L 4-14X40 with the varmint reticle.

Using the Remington loads with the 180 gr Speer Sirocco, I'm consistently hitting 2.5 to 3" groups at 300yds off sandbags but it starts getting a little inconsistent beyond the 300 mark. My goal is consistent sub MOA out to 600 and I feel its time for some work.

First up is blueprinting the action. No brainer there especially when I can see the locking lugs on the bolt wearing differently.

Second up is dumping the Leupold for something with adjustable turrets such as the Vortex Viper HS 4-16x50 LR. Simple so far right???

Third up is a composite stock and here's the question: I have been eyeballing the HS precision, Manners, and Greybull stocks but have never shot behind one. I'm after a hunting style stock that provides a solid platform and one I can attach a bi-pod to. I don't need anything like an A5 style tactical stock as this is my hunting rig and that's what it will remain. I'm not looking to upgrade the barrel at this time as I'd like to keep it as light as possible. All I need is a 1st cold bore shot with the possibility of a quick follow up.

So for those of you fortunate enough to have the knowledge; can you help point me to the best stock for the application even if it's not one of the three listed above?

Thanks for your assistance, TA
Old 02-02-2012, 05:53 PM
Gold Member

Re: Which Composite Stock

my vote is for Greybull followed by HS. Mostly because they are the stocks I use and I like the feel of the greybull best.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:11 PM
Silver Member

I just put a greybull on a model 700 264 build. Now, I want one for every rifle I own!
Old 02-02-2012, 10:32 PM
Gold Member

TA1911A1: Good post, good question as I have been contemplating a different stock for over a year now. Problem I have is how do you make a decision when you can't see one first. Oh well - the joys of living in the boonies

For those of you that have the Greybull - couple of questions for you
- Do you know what your stock weighs?
- How did your accuracy compare from your old stock to the Greybull?
- If you had anything on the Greybull you could change what would it be?
- How was the initial fit to your action/barrel?

I have it in my head that I want to try a more drop down pistol grip type stock that will be used for a lot of packing and the sole purpose of hunting so weight always comes into play, 1st cold bore shot is max importance.

I sure have not read any negatives on the Greybull stock and I have gotten the impression that they are willing to take one back if it doesn't fit your needs but I hate to go that route.

Looking forward to future comments - good luck in finding what you want.

And by the way - welcome to the forum.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:37 PM
Silver Member

I think all the above mentioned stocks will do the trick. I guess I would vote for a Manners T5-A Manners Composite Stocks

Off the subject, I would use a heavier bullet.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:52 PM
Platinum Member

Welcome! I've shot / handled many. Favorites in a sporter configuration are, Manners mcs-t, mcmillan hunter, and Darrel Hollands stock. Unhesitantly endorse all three.

I haven't had my hands on a greybull, but they look nice. Not really a sporter, but plenty handy. Mcmillan has a new sporter A3 along the same lines.

HS stocks are a great value, but lack the look and feal of the others, in my opinion.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:11 AM
Platinum Member

I'm a manners fan. Don't own one, but will some day I'm sure. On the scope, a buddy of mine has the VX3 Luepy. He called Luepy and sent his away. They fitted his VX3 with target turrets so that he could use it for long range. I'm a Vortex. I own one and some day another, but going to the HS is a bit of a step back in optical quality. JMHO!
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!