Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Comparison of Long Range Cartridges?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2007, 11:22 AM
Silver Member

Comparison of Long Range Cartridges?

Does someone have a picture of the long range cartridges all line up together?

.300 RUM, .338 RUM, .338 Edge, etc?

I would realy appreciate seeing those!

Bill

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

http://waitesandbalances.blogspot.com/
Old 06-26-2007, 11:44 AM
Silver Member

Re: Comparison of Long Range Cartridges?

Here's one I took a couple years back. It's not exactly what you wanted but I need to get out of the sun for a few minutes so......

Left to Right: .22LR, .223rem, .308win, .30-06, 7mmMag, .300RUM, .338RUM

Old 06-26-2007, 11:47 AM
Silver Member

Sniper,

Thanks!! That's a great start!!

I'm considering a .338, and trying to decide on .338 Lapua, Edge, or ?

Bill

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

Old 06-26-2007, 08:42 PM
Bronze Member

Ya might want to contact Fiftydriver about his 338AX. I'm having one built and can't wait to get it in hand.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:10 PM
Gold Member

G'day mate,

I've just gone through all this myself and ended up on the edge. This was due to ease of making the rifle, brass, ballistics. I really thought about this one real hard. I have driven everyone on this site sick over the last 3 months with 338 questions. I ended up buying a sf 1 sendero 300 rum brand new. As soon as the gun arrives I am having it blueprinted, re crowned, 5 vent muzzle break trigger job, LAwton tactical bolt, wyatt centre feed ext mag box, DE adjust cheekpiece. I may order a Lawton 30" heavy flute barrel chambered in 338 edge to replace with. i just want to shoot the 300 a bit to see what she can do first. I don't really plan on shooting past the 1000 M mark. It will have a 30 moa rail and nxs nightforce 5-22 x 56 npr2 strapped on.

The edge is ballistically awsome with the 300 smk, but even beter with wildcat 266-31 grn AL tipped bullets. Massive BC's and just in a world of their own. Fifty Driver can tell you more or get in touch with Shawn Carlock about the EDGE .

Good luck [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-27-2007, 08:15 AM
Silver Member

Thanks DownUnder!

I have about decided on the .338 Edge, and have briefly discussed a build with Shawn Carlock, which is the way I'm leaning, but I was hoping for a comparison of all the big .300-.400 cartridges and maybe even some input on the benefits of each.

Bill

Thomas Jefferson

Old 06-27-2007, 12:44 PM

Bill is that you from over on the 65G site? Nice to see a fellow ARF outcast on the LR page! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I'm curt243 over there.

Anyway, I have a 338 RUM XCR 700, I bought it to be a light weight mountain rifle with plenty of power to spare for Brown bear/Elk, and LR steel plate plinking [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] I may have bitten off more than I can chew though, see the rifle only clocks in at 9.5lbs with optics! Needless to say she jumps and kicks pretty bad. I hate muzzle brakes ect...but I may have no choice. I am extreamly happy with the way it shoots, it will print .5 moa groups with the 300g SMK's. Which ever one you decide on the large 338 cal rifles are impressive. Good luck with your decision.