Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Colorado elk outfitter?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2013, 12:27 PM
Gold Member

Re: Colorado elk outfitter?

I hear you on the being guided part. I worked a Dall Sheep/Grizzly hunt in AK as a packer a few years ago. Having been a licensed outfitter and guide for three decades, it was a great way to participate in a great hunt and fly around the Brooks Range in a small plane for free.
I was not paid, so I was given a cow Caribou tag after the hunt was over, and the guide and I were turned loose for several days to hunt and fish and sleep really late. It was great.
The guide worked for me as my guide, right down to dressing the animal. It was a nice gesture, but just felt weird. I don't need a guide... I AM the guide!

Anyway, give this guy a call. He has a drop camp type hunt from small cabins based on private land. His hunters have a good success rate with a very high rate of return hunters. He used to guide for me and I will vouch for his honesty and integrity.

Hills Guide Service 970-487-3731. Speak with Mark or Jeanette

Old 09-24-2013, 12:38 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBrad View Post
I hear you on the being guided part. I worked a Dall Sheep/Grizzly hunt in AK as a packer a few years ago. Having been a licensed outfitter and guide for three decades, it was a great way to participate in a great hunt and fly around the Brooks Range in a small plane for free.
I was not paid, so I was given a cow Caribou tag after the hunt was over, and the guide and I were turned loose for several days to hunt and fish and sleep really late. It was great.
The guide worked for me as my guide, right down to dressing the animal. It was a nice gesture, but just felt weird. I don't need a guide... I AM the guide!

Anyway, give this guy a call. He has a drop camp type hunt from small cabins based on private land. His hunters have a good success rate with a very high rate of return hunters. He used to guide for me and I will vouch for his honesty and integrity.

Hills Guide Service 970-487-3731. Speak with Mark or Jeanette
I will thanks
Old 09-24-2013, 04:28 PM
Silver Member

Whatever you do don't do Rick sears Apache park. When i was there he didn't seem to care if you shot an elk or not. Plus i had a 800 dollar pay check in my shirt pocket, i got in a car axident and the hospital staff cut my chothes of me and threw them away. He would't. Re issue the check. I called him a few times since and said if i was ever in colorado again i would stop in and tell him HI. AND WE COULD FIQURE IT OUT.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:39 PM
Silver Member

My brain is getting fried researching this, and ive only been at it a month or so. This is soo much money for us i dont want to make a bad decision and have a crappy hunt. aaaaaah!
Old 09-25-2013, 09:33 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmagator View Post
But after hunting in Oregon on public lands our whole life, my dad and i dont know if we would be satisfied with being guided to the elk.
I wish it was that easy.

I've been on 4 guided elk hunts and so far have 1 cow and 1 bull to show for it. My Dad (also now 70, like yours) has a spike bull to show for it from our first trip. Now, last year's hunt he strained his ankle and also turned down a shot so he could also have had two to his credit, but don't think for a minute that you get "guided to the elk", pull the trigger and go home. If so I'd be 4 for 4.

My first year I had zero opportunity as the elk all stayed on the non-hunted land next door and I didn't take a cow on the first day, the second trip I shot the cow because it ran at me, stopping at 31 yards , 3rd trip never even saw a bull or cow with a "high opportunity" outfitter in NM, and 4th trip got a bull.

I just want to be sure you go into this with the correct frame of mind.
My Dad at 70 will probably have another elk hunt or two, and since he has no bull to his credit I'm gently pushing him to buy a landowner tag in the big bull areas of New Mexico and "get it done" so to speak.

Good luck in your quest.