Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Colorado elk outfitter?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2013, 12:47 PM
Silver Member

Colorado elk outfitter?

Looking for a starting point for guide research or recommendations fir a Colorado trophy elk hunt. This hunt is really fir my 70 yr old dad. We live in Oregon and have harvested several elk, but he is looking for a true trophy. We are really about diy fair chase hunting, do a guided hunt is kinda out of the box for us. We would really like done kind of drop camp or semi guided, but i understand an outfitter us not going to drop you off in a trophy area that his guided clients are hunting, and my dad wants a true trophy, do were open to fully guided.

Expectations. Some of these might not be realistic but I'm going to list them as if this was the perfect hunt.

Rifle hunt
Trophy quality/lots of animals
Drop camp/semi guided preferred. No sit back while guide hunts and all we do is shoot. We want to actively hunt for ourselves.
Complete fair chase wild elk
Private land
No horse experience, but willing
Rustic base camp/satellite camps preferred over lodge
Prefer to pack our own meat
Probably think of more later

Again, were only considering fully guided due to the fact that we would most likely get on better animals. This is all a first for my dad and i, so my ideas and expectations maybe off, so I'm welcome to advice and recommendations. Thanks
Old 08-30-2013, 04:31 PM
Gold Member

Re: Colorado elk outfitter?

Check out elkcamp.com. The owner, Jay Houston, has a bunch of guides that he works with and should be able to point you in the right direction. Great guy too. Good luck!
Old 08-30-2013, 09:14 PM
Platinum Member

Try these nice folks:

Sable Mountain Outfitters

And no I am not a rep for them. Our favorite game warden recommended them a long time ago.

NRA Life Member
Old 09-23-2013, 02:25 PM
Silver Member

Ok after more thought and discussion, we want to try a self guided private land trespass fee type hunt. With high potential for 300"+ bull. Any thoughts? Suggestions?

Ps. We also are open to other states also.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:08 PM
Silver Member

This will give you some idea of what a guided hunt will cost, and what the sizes are for the price ranges.

Not saying you should do those trips, but it at least gives you am idea of cost, length, what it includes, etc.

Cabela's
Old 09-24-2013, 12:03 AM
Gold Member

Is the idea to find an inexpensive hunt or to do it yourself. An inexpensive hunt with real trophy potential is a bit of an oxymoron. Not saying it can't happen, but most private land with true trophy class animals is a relatively high dollar proposition... at least that has been my observation here in CO.
While CO has more elk than any other state or province on the planet, we are not especially noted for trophy bulls. I would suggest considering New Mexico, Arizona, or Alberta... and get your checkbook out.
If you want a great hunt with good possibility for a nice representative bull, there are a lot of great options.
Take a look at unit 61. This is a trophy area that also has produced good bulls. My daughter shot a 333 bull there on a DIY hunt a few years ago. You might call the Division of Parks and Wildlife in Montrose for suggestions.
Best of luck when you get a hunt lined out.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:17 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBrad View Post
Is the idea to find an inexpensive hunt or to do it yourself. An inexpensive hunt with real trophy potential is a bit of an oxymoron.
I agree, i believe its a tough bill to fill. We would really like a to get a trophy, thats why we were considering a guided hunt. But after hunting in Oregon on public lands our whole life, my dad and i dont know if we would be satisfied with being guided to the elk.

So we thought if we could get a private land hunt, self-guided, trespass type hunt, we could do the hunting ourselves but be in a spot with trophy potential.

The other issue is my dad will be 70 in 2014, he gets around really good, can still do some hiking. However, a 4 mile hike into backcountry, or drop camp where all the hunting is done in rugged terrain on foot just wont work.

Im trying to find a happy medium. But im realizing were going to have to make a sacrifice somewhere.