Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Colorado Consulation prize...long story

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2006, 07:56 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Colorado Consulation prize...long story

Damn , err....dang Dan .

That was a eyeopener of a hunt . I don't mean anything bad by this question just simply inquiring . " Do you guys hunt off horeseback regular ?

I am mostly glad you all are alive and kicking!! You were blessed to not have any more terrible probs.

Jim B.
Old 11-10-2006, 08:16 PM
Platinum Member

This is why alot of guides use mules , I'd much rather ride an old mule that a horse that I don't know.
I had to make a "twitch" once and have a heart to heart with a guides horse once , the guide wasen't happy but when I informed him that it was either him or the horse he kept quiet. The horse behaved himself the rest of the trip and the guide was amazed.
I still like mules , never had any trouble with one and their a hell of alot more sure footed and smarter than a horse.
Old 11-10-2006, 09:07 PM
Platinum Member

Though I like 'em a lot.......Horses are make the precise shape for a dog food can. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Mine bounced me (years ago) out of the saddle and back to her tail. The next buck saw me sitting a bit below her tail as the rear feet came up. I was looking way down on the junipers from above. Landed on my feet. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Rifle was in the scabbard and left with the horse. While looking for both I came across the best 4X4 I saw that year. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-11-2006, 05:25 PM
Silver Member

jimm...I only hunt from horses every couple of years but these steeds are hunted from quite a bit and I'm the only person that borrows them.
Old 11-11-2006, 05:28 PM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
This is why alot of guides use mules , I'd much rather ride an old mule that a horse that I don't know.
I had to make a "twitch" once and have a heart to heart with a guides horse once , the guide wasen't happy but when I informed him that it was either him or the horse he kept quiet. The horse behaved himself the rest of the trip and the guide was amazed.
I still like mules , never had any trouble with one and their a hell of alot more sure footed and smarter than a horse.

[/ QUOTE ]

JD...Skank actually is (I would like to say WAS) a mule. When I wrote the story I did not think to differentiate. He was good on his feet...just a little "off" in the brain.
Old 11-11-2006, 05:47 PM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
......but your story is very well written, and adds a lighthearted tone to a ill fated trip......

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks.......I try.
Old 11-11-2006, 08:31 PM
Silver Member

Great story, hunting with horses has been a dream of mine and maybe I might reconsider that. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] Considering I've never been on a horse, I guess I better stay on my own two feet.
Good shooting with the XP and I like the camo job too. We have to use shotguns here in WI for any bird even crows, maybe someday....

Mike