Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Cold bore shooting/ Clean barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2011, 03:25 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Cold bore shooting/ Clean barrel

jrg,
Here's something you can try. Get a hold of the most concentrated isopropyl alcohol (meaning the highest percentage...I can't find anything higher than 91%) and the next time you clean your gun, leave it that way and take it to the range for a test shoot. Prior to firing with your perfectly clean and oiled barrel, clean the bore of whatever you use for storage with your solvent. Dry patch the solvent out then run a couple of patches of the alcohol followed by dry patches. Then test your zero from a clean cold bore.
A gunsmith told me what the real issue with 'fouling shots' is not that the rifle prefers to be dirty, but even after dry patching out the preservative in a bore, there remains a residue that will affect the internal ballistics until it is all burned out. Coincidently, the barrel is now fouled.
I've tested this with a few different percentage levels and the purer the alcohol, the tighter my cold bore zero was. The other 9% is additives which would likely interfere like any other type of oil based preservative.
I've heard nearly everyone claim that a dirty barrel won't harm your rifle, but I've spent too much coin on my custom made system and I have a difficult time accepting leaving my barrel fouled is 'good' for my weapon.
Good luck.

Last edited by Long Trang; 07-26-2011 at 03:31 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:11 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks LT
I'm like you in the sense that I ask and wonder alot when it come to leaving my guns dirty "fouled" There are plenty of people out there that have more and more expensive guns than I do, but I have alot of work built up to afford the ones I do have and leaving anything to chance just makes me nervous about how much longer I'd have to work to replace that one that I took a chance on.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Trang View Post
jrg,
Here's something you can try. Get a hold of the most concentrated isopropyl alcohol (meaning the highest percentage...I can't find anything higher than 91%) and the next time you clean your gun, leave it that way and take it to the range for a test shoot. Prior to firing with your perfectly clean and oiled barrel, clean the bore of whatever you use for storage with your solvent. Dry patch the solvent out then run a couple of patches of the alcohol followed by dry patches. Then test your zero from a clean cold bore.
A gunsmith told me what the real issue with 'fouling shots' is not that the rifle prefers to be dirty, but even after dry patching out the preservative in a bore, there remains a residue that will affect the internal ballistics until it is all burned out. Coincidently, the barrel is now fouled.
I've tested this with a few different percentage levels and the purer the alcohol, the tighter my cold bore zero was. The other 9% is additives which would likely interfere like any other type of oil based preservative.
I've heard nearly everyone claim that a dirty barrel won't harm your rifle, but I've spent too much coin on my custom made system and I have a difficult time accepting leaving my barrel fouled is 'good' for my weapon.
Good luck.
There are some shooters who highly recommend against shooting jacketed bullets in a bone dry, alcohol stripped barrel. That leaves bare metal riding on bare metal until there is enough fouling to separate the two on follow up shots.

There isn't any legitimate reason why 2-3 fouling shots can't be left in the bore. I do it all the time in both factory barrels and on my full custom rifles with SS match barrels.

I'm open to hearing any opposing opinions on this.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varmint Hunter View Post
There are some shooters who highly recommend against shooting jacketed bullets in a bone dry, alcohol stripped barrel. That leaves bare metal riding on bare metal until there is enough fouling to separate the two on follow up shots.

There isn't any legitimate reason why 2-3 fouling shots can't be left in the bore. I do it all the time in both factory barrels and on my full custom rifles with SS match barrels.

I'm open to hearing any opposing opinions on this.
Bare metal riding on bare metal under intense heat and pressure never produces good results.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
There are some shooters who highly recommend against shooting jacketed bullets in a bone dry, alcohol stripped barrel.
Do they kill anything? Or do they just wander around the internet making recommendations.

I use alcohol in my barrels.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:11 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalobob View Post
Do they kill anything? Or do they just wander around the internet making recommendations.

I use alcohol in my barrels.
They don't make a living looking for suckers who will soon be in need of new barrels.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:30 PM
Platinum Member

Hunting season is coming up and we will see how my methods works out when there are animals to shoot. Or the curious can go back to past hunting seasons and see how it worked out for me in the past.

My normal hunting rifles are so over bore that if I get 500 rounds of accurate barrel life I will count it a good thing and if I get more then that is just extra gravy. My issues are carbon ring and throat erosion. Copper running over stainless steel at high speed is the least of my issues.