Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Cold Bore Improvment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2012, 05:16 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Cold Bore Improvment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet bumper View Post
In the initial post he says it shoots high after being left unused for a short time even after firing many shots ? So after it cools down the first shot is high each time . A fouling shot will not fix that scenario because many shots have been fired.
I am also thinking that any ammo change might be worth a try .
The CCI SV's are so inconsistent I wouldn't put much stock in any results achieved with them which is why I suggest the ammo change.

I've shot many, many different rifles over the years from pawn shop rack guns to the very finest weapons our military could produce.

I always found the same recipie works best for all which is to never shoot for accuracy and consistency without a few fouling shots unless you are one of those guys who plans to clean between each shot.

Even .22lr Match Ammo is designed for 100yds or less here and most .22lr matches are shot at less than 50yds.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:49 PM
Gold Member

I did some cleaning on the gun to night, I mopped it with hoppe's 9 and brushed the phuck out of it with a nylon brush. and did a 2 passes with the bronze brush. then ran some easly fitting patches followed by some tight fitting. i was getting lead slivers and little chunks of black stuff out. I repeated this process a few times. I should get a chance to go shoot it tomorrow. I think this is the cleanest this rifle bore has ever been in its life.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:00 AM
Gold Member

Once 'pon a time I knew a fellow, a smallbore outdoor champion that won more 1600 aggregate championships than the law oughta allow. When asked one day how often he cleaned his .22 match rifle....he replied..."I don't!" At that time he stated he had over 80,000 rounds fired through it!!

FWIW!!
Old 07-26-2012, 11:39 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpsman View Post
Once 'pon a time I knew a fellow, a smallbore outdoor champion that won more 1600 aggregate championships than the law oughta allow. When asked one day how often he cleaned his .22 match rifle....he replied..."I don't!" At that time he stated he had over 80,000 rounds fired through it!!

FWIW!!
Damn he's worse than me. I at least clean my 10/22 when it starts being contrary about cycling!
Old 07-26-2012, 02:48 PM
Gold Member

I went out and shot.
93 degrees
Durring wait time the rifle and ammo were in the shade. and i was working on my tan.
Shot prone with bipod and rear bag.

Old 07-26-2012, 03:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayne B View Post
I went out and shot.
93 degrees
Durring wait time the rifle and ammo were in the shade. and i was working on my tan.
Shot prone with bipod and rear bag.
What range were you shooting at?
Old 07-26-2012, 03:14 PM
Gold Member

25 yards