Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

cold bore fliers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2011, 11:22 PM
Platinum Member

Re: cold bore fliers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake View Post
thanks for all the advice-no, I have not glass bedded the barrell into the stock, and I have had several people say I should do that. I have run a dollar bill between the stock and the barrell when the barrell is cold and after shooting and the dollar bill runs freely in either scenario-does that tell you anything?

The past week I have been shooting a 5 shot group each day without cleaning the barrell at all. Each day I do this that first shot gets closer and closer to the rest of my group. Yesterday I did this and my first shot was still my farthest left shot, but was part of a 2.5" group at 300 yards.

I have heard guys say their guns shoot better after running 20-30 rounds through-is that an old wives tale, or is it possible that this is what I am experiencing.

Thanks for the shooting advice Outlaw-I definately know that it could be me that is the problem. I have been dry firing twice before that first shot (I will try 5-10 times as you suggest) and have been shooting to make that shot part of my group, but becasue I know it could be just a mental thing that is why I had several other people shoot the gun and their results were the same as mine. I guess the next step is to hand the gun to a good shooter without telling them what I am deaing with so that it doesn't affect the way they pull the trigger on that first shot.

With the gun shooting better after running 30 rounds through it I am not sure if I am closer to a solution or farther away.

Thanks again for your help and any other idea's are welcome. I will check with a gunsmith on the glass bedding (don't trust myself to do it).
Do you have a factory wood stock on it or one of the cheapo factory plastic stocks?

If you are going to have it bedded and glassed you should go ahead and either have it pillar bedded or look at the Whiddon Gun Works aluminum pillar blocks. They can be installed in any existing stock.

Have a good gun smith install and skim bed the block in, then do the same with joining the block to the action and it should give you a super stable platform for less than half the price of a new stock.

Whidden Gunworks
Old 07-21-2011, 11:33 PM

thanks WildRose-I'm looking into this as we speak.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:46 PM
Silver Member

If anything I would think that the first shot out of a cold barrel should be high, not left or right...and if you are talking about a hunting rifle...2.5" at 300 yards is better than a MOA, right? and truthfully there are not that many shooters that can in all honesty DO THAT!

Last edited by Sackett; 07-25-2011 at 11:48 PM. Reason: add on
Old 07-26-2011, 12:04 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
If anything I would think that the first shot out of a cold barrel should be high, not left or right...and if you are talking about a hunting rifle...2.5" at 300 yards is better than a MOA, right? and truthfully there are not that many shooters that can in all honesty DO THAT!
Emphasis mine.

Depends on the rifle, they are all as individual as people.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:17 PM
Silver Member

It's been a while, but I read somewhere that some bench rest guys were getting their best groups after 400 dirty shots without cleaning. That's all dependent on what your particular rifle likes.

My 30-06 has a hot first two shots. 30-40 fps higher than the 3rd and subsequent if I remember correctly. After that, she settles down. But like Sackett says, mine are just a little high, not left or anything.

That Whidden block looks good!